Laser Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

I have loose skin on my stomach as a result of weight loss. I consulted with a plastic surgeon (who does not do laser procedures) and he said that there would be about a foot of skin removed. I slowly lost 55 pounds (over a year). Generally speaking, should I seek more information about laser tummy tuck surgery? Am I a possible candidate? I am 112-113 pounds and not currently overweight and in good shape.

Laser Tummy Tuck??

+1

Like my colleagues, I doubt the "surgeon" suggesting you undergo a laser tummy tuck is a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, but rather, is probably an owner of a new laser machine that he/she needs to make payments on. 

A laser tummy tuck is not a tummy tuck at all.  A laser tummy tuck is merely using a laser to break up fat cells prior to performing traditional liposuction.  Like with any kind of liposuction (whether it be traditional liposuction, ultrasound liposuction, water liposuction, laser liposuction, etc...), standard cannulas must still be inserted into the body through small incisions to remove the fat.  The only difference between traditional liposuction is the way in which the fat is broken up before it is removed from the body.

Those trying to sell a laser tummy tuck will say that it tightens the skin and eliminates the need for a traditional tummy tuck; however, this is not true.   Anytime liposuction is performed (again, whether it be traditional liposuction, ultrasound liposuction, water liposuction, laser liposuction, etc...) the overlying skin is tightened a small degree as the underlying tissues heal.  There is no scientific evidence to suggest that a laser tummy tuck tightens skin more than traditional liposuction

The only way to get rid of and tighten loose, excess abdominal skin following significant weight loss is through a tummy tuck.  Yes, this will require a lower abdominal scar, but it is the only procedure that will contour your trunk, tighten your abdominal muscles, and remove excess skin.  I caution you against undergoing any kind of liposuction or laser tummy tuck, as this will only accentuate your loose, excess skin, and likely make you look worse than you do now.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Tummy Tuck Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida

Use of LASERS for body contouring is limited

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on your description of your abdomen the best result would be obtained through a traditional abdominoplasty which removes loose skin. Lasers have wonderful applications in the field of medicine and surgery but in body contouring their use is limited.

Good luck with your procedure.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

You need a tummy tuck or body lift after losing 55 pounds

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Most people after they have lost a significant amount of weight like you have will have a lot of extra skin. Check yourself out in the mirror and look all the weigh around your torso. Usually you will see extra skin hanging all the way around.

The best way to take care of extra skin all the way around is with a Belt Lipectomy or Body Lift procedure. This procedure will pull you tight throughout.

If you find that you just have some extra skin in the front, then a TUMMY TUCK or Abdominoplasty may be for you.

Both of these procedures can be done with or without a laser. There is no real benefit to using the laser and in fact there may be a disadvantage in that the procedures will probably take longer to perform.

I agree with others on this topic that the Laser may indeed be a marketing ploy.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lasers are often more hype than good medicine

+1

A laser tummy tuck? What the heck is that?

I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and I have been in practice for 8 years, and I have no idea what a laser tummy tuck is. Whenever I read about anything having to do with a laser, I am usually skeptical; 9 times out of 10, the laser practitioner is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and he is relying on a gimmick to get your business.

Sorry to pick on you.

Now for some substantive advice: Given that you have lost a lot of weight, and given that you are now quite thin, you would almost certainly benefit from a tummy tuck or from a circumferential lower body lift. These are excisional procedures with long scars, but tremendous improvements in contours.

Go to www.plasticsurgery.org to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

No benefit to using the Laser

+1

My practice is focused on weight loss patients, and I also have the newest, most powerful SmartLipo MPX system. The laser offers a few very small advantages over traditional Liposuction, but in no way is a substitute for a Tummy Tuck.

In fact, lipo of any type would probably make you look worse.

Because of the amount of skin weight loss patients have, and because that skin is generally quite damaged, I doubt the laser will ever be useful for my weight loss patients.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

No proven benefit to laser with tummy tuck

+1

You are probably starting to see a pattern in the responses here. With the amount of weight loss you have had and the amount of skin to be removed, a "traditional" tummy tuck will serve you very well. Thre is a long track record with this procedure. On the other hand, I've seen nothing presented at meetings or published in the medical literature to suggest there is any benefit to using the laser in this instance.

Richard Baxter, MD

Laser Tummy Tucks

+1

You are being bamboozled.

Whenever an inferior surgeon cannot compete on the quality of his skills or his results they reach for the "Star Wars Defense" - out come the "Laser", the proprietary outrageous names etc. This is done with only one purpose in mind - to collect your hard earned money.

What you need is a well designed and performed Tummy Tuck by a board certified Plastic surgeon (check on www.PlasticSurgery.org) - not A BS procedure by a hack.

In a Tummy tuck, an incision which is designed to be hidden in your favorite underwear, is made with a steel scalpel. (The scalpel unlike the "l - a - s - e - r" does not burn the skin edges...thought you may like to know that). The rest of the work under the skin proceeds with an electric cautery which stops every single bleeding vessels as good if not better than the "l - a - s - e - r" . To claim that by cutting your skin with a "l - a - s - e - r" somehow makes it a superior operation is shameless self-promotion and I would advise you to run away from such individuals.

Laser tummy tucks are no better than traditional tummy tucks

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW FOR SAMPLE RESULTS:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no study which supports the superiority of laser tummy tucks over conventional tummy tucks. This sounds as if it is more of a marketing ploy than a true medical advancement.