Laser Treatment for Post-surgery Scar Removal?

I had surgery on my nose and had my nostrils minimized. Now I have scars on the sides of my nostrils that look like deep ridges and holes. They are very noticeable. I even had the doctor cut and re-stitch the incisions and it looks the same.

I also have a scar above my left eyebrow from a cyst I had removed as a result of a cellulitis infection. It's a pretty deep line. I have tried mederma and that hasn't helped any of the scars. Are there Laser treatments that are effective for these scars?

Facial scar treatments

+2

The ridges you describe in your nose scars sound like hypertrophic scars. These can be treated with intralesional (into the scar) injections of cortisone and 5-fluorouracil. Additionally, treatments with a pulsed dye laser (such as Vbeam) or a fractional laser can be helpful. I tend to recommend the pulsed dye laser if the scar is red.

There are a number of treatments for "holes":

• If they are very small - like ice pick acne scars - then a very local application of very concentrated acid - 90 or 100% TCA - can be placed at the base of the scar. A series of treatments can give excellent results. Tihs is referred to as the CROSS technique.
  • Smaller scars can also be cut out - called punch excision or punch floating - but this can be trickly in the area of thick skin found on the nose.
  • Larger depressed scars can be treated with non-ablative lasers such as the Smoothbeam laser, can be used to build collagen under the scar. This can require quite a large number of treatments. Ablative lasers or fractional lasers may be used to resurface or even the skin over the scar as well as produced collagen production under the scar to lift and fill the scar. It is likely that an ablative or fractional laser would be most effective.

The scar above your eyebrow sounds like it would be best treated with a fractional laser or a pulsed dye laser.

Charlotte Dermatologist