More Laser Treatment or Microdermabrasion to Treat Seborrheic Keratosis

My derm used a Iridex Diolite 532 to remove a wart-like seborrheic keratosis, size of a pencil top from my cheek. After 3 months only the middle part is completely gone. The top and bottom part (kind of like the inner perimeter of what was the keratosis) is still slightly raised and has faded from a dark brown to a light pink. Will pink color go away with the 4% hydroquinone and .05% retin-a that I’ve been using? How do I get the area flat —another laser treatment or microdermabrasion?

Microdermabrasion not necessary for seborrheic keratoses

+1

Many treatments are available for treating SK's including laser, curettage and cauterization, or liquid nitrogen.  Any of these methods can treat the remaining perimeter of the SK but these lesions can recur and spread, regardless of the method of removal.  The pinkness will fade but sometimes, hydroquinone and Retin-A will keep fresh skin pink so you might consider stopping one of them and using sun protection.

Toronto Dermatologist

Best Treatment for a Seborrheic Keratosis on the Face

+1

When I remove a seborrheic keratosis on the face I will usually use either cryosurgery with liquid nitrogen or a shave excision method. I do not believe either lasers or microdermabrasion to be a good way to treat these growths. Larger facial keratoses are best removed with the shave excision method where the growth is "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective and leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Seborrheic Keratosis

+1

There are many different treatments available for Seborrheic Keratoses including lasers. curettage (scraping), and freezing. Microdermabrasion is not generally used for this condition.  Its hard to determine whether your lesion is completely gone but if the only issue is some mild to moderate pinkness left to the skin then this should fade without treatment over a period of 1-3 months.  If there is some of the keratosis is still present then you might need a touch up with one of the above mentioned treatments.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist