What Laser Treatment Would Be Best for a Slightly Raised, Red Scar on the Face? (photo)

Hi, I've had this scar on my face for about 7 months now. I got it from a mole removal that didn't heal properly (not the doc's fault). I've been using concealer to hide it that worked quite well, but the scar seems to be thickening up over time. I now use silicone sheets to try to heal it at home. I've seen fraxel/pulsed dye laser results on faces before but only on deepened acne scars. Which laser treatment would be the best for a slightly raised, red scar on the face? Thanks.

Scar revision for mole removal scar on the face and body

+1

I would begin with a vascular laser to reduce the redness and minimize further progression of your scar: The lasers of choice for your scar include:

1. Pulsed Dye Scar Laser (First)
  2. Fractional CO2 laser (later to address texture of scar)

Red raised scar

+1

several treatments using the pulsed dye laser or intralesional injections or a steroid might be helpful. One treatment will not do it. You should try either one once a month

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Hypertrophic scar

+1

Your scar looks thick, wide and immature. You may be one of the unlucky ones that just take a lot longer for their scars to mature. Massage aggressively helps. Grab the scar in your fingers and squeeze it. The pressure will help break up the fibers.

You may eventually benefit from revising this scar and changing its orientation

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What Laser Treatment Would Be Best for a Slightly Raised, Red Scar on the Face?

+1

Laser treatment would be most helpful to reduce the red color that draws attention to the scar tissue. However, once the redness has resolved, you will likely be left with a widened, more lightly pigmented scar which is relatively poorly oriented with the lines created around your mouth when you smile. If you're unhappy with the appearance once the redness resolves, you would likely benefit from a scar revision procedure to cut out, reorient and narrow the scar. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatments for raised, red scar

+1

From your description and the picture, it appears that the scar is raised.  It's possible that a steroid injection into the scar could help to flatten it out.  In regards to the color, I'm assuming you're using sunscreen daily to protect it from the sun, as sun exposure can prolong the redness of a healing scar.  It's possible that a pulsed dye laser could be used to lessen the red color.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon