Am I a Good Candidate for Laser Treatment for Minimal Skin Sagging on the Stomach? (Photos)

Im 31 years old and have two children. I have a small amount of skin sagging underneath my navel. I have been researching tummy tucks but I think the scare is worse then the sagging. Is it possible to get laser treatment for minimal skin sagging? I am a non smoker and I have been in the best shape of my life for well over a year now. Would I be a good candidate? Is there such non invasive treatment out there? Help!

Non-Invasive Skin Tightening Procedures are Associated with Very Low Rates of Patient Satisfaction

+2

Hi there-

A quick review of the ratings for these procedures here on Realself: Thermage has a 40% "worth-it" rating, and Titan a 56%...

I'm not sure those are ringing endorsements...

It is important to realize that your abdominal appearance is the result of pregnancy and childbirth, and that these events affected your muscle layer, your fatty tissue distribution, and your skin (skin quality as well as skin quantity). In order to achieve your best appearance, all 3 problems need to be addressed definitively. 

I would be very concerned you will feel like you wasted your time and money with one of these treatments.

Laser treatments for sagging skin on the stomach

+2

Given that you are healthy and have no underlying medical problems, I see no issues with you having a non-surgical skin tightening procedure. Two such non-invasive treatments for sagging skin on the stomach may be helpful: 

• Infrared skin tightening, such as SkinTyte or Titan
  • Radiofrequency skin tightening, such as Thermage

The amount of lift and tightening that you get with these modalities is certainly less than with a tummy tuck, but a tummy tuck is a full, invasive surgical procedure.  Also, a series of treatments may be necessary with nonsurgical methods to get optimal results.

Please consider the fact that these non-invasive laser skin tightening methods do not deal with muscle, which may be lax due to two pregnancies.  They only help tighten the skin.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon