Can Laser Treatment for Dark Circles Be Performed 5 Weeks After Lower Blepharoplasty?

Laser Dark Circles 5 Weeks after Lower Bleharoplasty

+1

I would not recommend lasering dark circles in that area so soon after lower blepharoplasty.  Bruising may have resolved, but I would recommend waiting at least 3 months before considering an additional treatment.

Treatment of dark circles 5 weeks post blepharoplasty depends on the cause of the dark circles and your healing.

+1

Dark circles under the eyes have one of three causes that include:  abnormal pigmentation, hollowness or dark veins under the eyes.  Sometimes all three are present.  Abnormal pigmentation can be treated can be treated with lasers.  The best laser depends on the depth of the pigment.  Superficial laser resurfacing or treatment with a Q-Switch laser usually works best.  Hollowness is treated with fillers such as Restylane or Juvaderm.  Dark vessels are best treated with the long-pulse ND:YAG laser (special skill and training is required for this treatment to avoid eye damage).  At 5 week post blepharoplasty, the surgery should be well healed and any one of these treatments could likely be used.  Consult with the doctor who did your blepharoplasty to be certain

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Treatment for Dark Circles

+1

Hi JJ.  Even if we advised you that a laser treatment could be performed after 5 weeks, we would not recommend it.  If you have dark circles, it's more likely we would recommend Restylane injections.  

Lasers have very limited effects on dark circles.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Laser treatment 5 weeks after lower blepharoplasty

+1

Your question brings up several other questions that I would have.  First, I could not tell you if a laser treatment would even be beneficial for your dark circles without seeing you or a picture of you.  Second, even if the laser treatment would be done, it would be helpful to know what type of laser was being used.  It is possible that a laser treatment could be done to the lower eyelids five weeks after lower blepharoplasty, but this would be dependent on your healing after the surgery, and as previously mentioned, the type of laser being used.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon