Laser Treatment for Fine Lines and Sagging Skin?

I am 51 and have fine lines, no acne, some sagging around the jowl line and good skin texture. What procedure should I get considering my needs? Would Active FX or Pearl laser work? I am also having a mini facelift done concurrently. Minimal recovery time is important.

Combo approach is best

+2

When you say "minifacelift", are they doing a skin only approach or are they tightening the underlying muscle and fascia as well? This is important. At our center, we get excellent results combining surgery and resurfacing, specifically with the Fraxel repair.

We have the Active FX laser as well and because the fraxel repair penetrates much deeper than active fx, we find the fraxel repair is much better for wrinkles and tightening. The Pearl is a very superficial penetrating device and is best for patients will lots of brown spots. I would expect no tightening from pearl and no long term reduction in wrinkles. Take care, Dr. Groff

San Diego Dermatologist

Beware of the term mini face lift

+1

A combination between surgery and a resurfacing treatment would give you a skin tone as well as help with the deeper structures (sagging jowls).

I would be careful with the term mini face lift. Like any thing in life, the less you do, the less effect you get. The facial aging has components (brow ptosis, eyelid hooding, midface ptosis, jowls, neck bands, etc...), and each of these elements need to be addressed to have a comprehensive result.

The jowl problem is the hardest in my mind, as no easy solution will fix it for a long time. The gold standard for treatment is still a face lift approach with plication or excision of the deeper tissues and skin redraping. If surgery is not considered, some of the laser applications will help to a some extent. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Active FX will be a good addition to the mini facelift.

+1

Mini facelift should be a good solution for sagging around the jaw line. Active Fx is a great laser procedure for your needs, and can be done either before or after, or at the same time as the mini facelift. It should help with fine lines and early aging changes.

Talk to your doctor about it. To minimize the recovery time, consider doing it at the same time. Many offices will also offer you a price break for doing combined procedures.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Lasers and facelifts

+1

If you are considering a mini-facelift and also want lasers to treat the fine lines on your face, then I would stage them. Undermining skin and lasering on top is not a good combination.