Is Laser Treatment Effective on Chicken Pox Lesions?

I have two lesions on my forehead from childhood chicken pox. One is circular and 2 mm in diameter, and the other is oval shaped at 3 mm in length. I recently contacted a plastic surgeon who wanted to apply 5-7 laser treatments on the lesions with the possibility of adding some type of injection to help raise the scars. Is this an effective method?

Lasers on Chicken Pox Lesions

+2

Dear Orange452, thank you for your question.  The answer is that it depends on the depth of the scars.  More superficial scars should respond well to a single high energy fractionated CO2 laser treatment or to dermabrasion.  A series of laser treatments suggests use of a low energy fractionated laser; I have found lower energy laser treatments to be relatively ineffective in addressing scars.  If the scars are fairly deep, scar excision, followed by  fractionated CO2 laser or dermabrasion 8 weeks later would be most advisable

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatments of chicken pox scars

+1

Fractional co2 laser can help topographically resurface the scars. I employ the laser in combination with filler injections and pulsed dye laser. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Laser for chicken pox scars

+1

Lasers can absolutely help improve the appearance of chicken pox scars. The range of improvement depends on several factors, including the experience and knowledge of the physician. I would recommend seeing someone with advanced training in lasers, not just a few weekend courses, but someone who had formal training in the type of procedure you are getting. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon