Getting Rid of Blood Vessels on my Face and Neck?

What laser works best for getting rid of blood vessels on the face and neck?

Pulsed Dye Laser is considered the gold standard in facial vein treatment

+2

Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL) such as the V-Beam by Candela is considered the gold standard in facial vein treatment. It can be used to treat telangiectasias, rosacea and even port wine stains. IPL is a light device commonly found in most cosmetic laser offices and med spas is not a laser and is as specific as a pulsed dye laser in targeting the hemoglobin found in blood vessels. We have two IPL devices and one PDL and find our IPL's most useful for hyperpigmentation (brown spots) and poikiloderma (brown and red discoloration mixed together). IPL is sometimes more beneficial for some cases of rosacea that have very diffuse redness. The PDL is far superior however for capillaries and any visible blood vessels on the face, neck and chest area, along with hemangioma treatment.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Cutera's Limelight is the new IPL for facial vessels!

+2

Limelight is an IPL that treats general red tones, broken capillaries, and age spots anywhere on the face and neck. One to three treaments spaced out at least 4 weeks apart are recommended for optimal results. Very effective!

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

IPL is safe and effective for facial blood vessels

+2

Intense Pulsed Light is a cousin of a laser and I feel it's the easiest way to get rid of facial vessels. It can effectively get rid of vessels around the nose, cheeks, and chin area. It usually takes 1-3 treatments. Afterwards, the skin can feel a little sunburned, and sometimes there is slight swelling for a day. Treatments are usually spaced about a week apart.

There are other lasers on the market that can have similar or slightly better results, but the IPL is so safe, and with minimal downtime, it's my choice for these problems.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lasers for blood vessels on the face

+1

I often use intense pulsed light and the KTP lasers to treat broken blood vessels.  However, intense pulsed light should be used with caution on darker skin types. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Pulsed dye

+1

Pulsed dye lasers work well for many types of facial redness. The 532nm diode laser is another useful form of treatment. Your best choice will be determined after meeting with your physician.

James M. Kurley, MD
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Blood vessels on the face and neck

+1

We will have to respectfully disagree with all three answers thus far. We agree with Dr. Klein that Pulsed Dye Lasers are a gold standard for vascular lesions. The problem is that pulsed dye lasers are excellent for Rosacea and Port Wine stains where the vessels are imperceptibly small and not as good when the vessels are visible. KTP and Nd:Yg are most effective for visible spider veins.

We are not advocates of IPL at all for spider veins or any other treatments. We have pulsed dye, KTP and Nd:Yg lasers in our office (as well as IPL - part of the Sciton Nd:Yg machine that we do not use) and we choose to use the KTP and Nd:Yg for these types of lesions because these two simply work the best (quickly and permanently closing these veins). With most other offices, they do not have the benefit of using any one of 3 or 4 lasers (we have over 20) because they do not specialize in laser procedures.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD