Does laser therapy work for old larger scars? What kind of laser should I look for?

My girlfriend has some pretty significant scarring on her legs and arms from cutting. She hasn't self harmed in over 18 months. The scars are rather large and some of them are over 5 years old. She not self conscious about them but just wants to be able to weara skirt without having to answer a million questions or get stared at the whole time. Is there any laser therapy treatments that can be done at home?

Laser therapy for cutting scars on the legs and thighs

+1
Cutting scars are usually hypopigmented and difficult to treat.  Our office specializes in scar treatment and we have employed ablative laser therapy with success. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Laser Treatment For Scars

+1
Certain lasers work well for the treatment of scars. The least invasive that can give excellent results is the Fraxel 1550 nm.  However, without seeing pictures, I cannot give best advice.  Please see a board certified dermatologist with speciality training in lasers and cosmetic surgery.  I wish you the best of luck.