What About Laser Tattoo Removal + Skin Resurfacing + New Tattoo?

I have a large colorful tattoo on my upper arm(half sleeve) which is being treated performing laser tattoo removal. Due to the size and number of colors,several treatments are needed in order for the tattoo to lighten a bit more. I know it's a challenge to remove such a big colored tattoo and there's no guarantee about complete removal...I was wondering if is it possible to undergo skin resurfacing for improving skin texture(some scarring left from the first tattoo) before getting a new one.

Laser skin resurfacing for tattoo scarring texture

+1

Even the Fraxel Repair laser which is more gentle than the non fractional carbon dioxide laser, can cause scarring on areas of the body off the face.  Fraxel Restore may help improve the texture.

In this area, I would recommend quitting while you are ahead.

+1

If you do laser tatto removal and then resurfacing and then a new tattoo, you may trade what you have now for a keloid scar.  Quit while you are ahead after the laser tattoo removal.  The deltoid area of the arm is the second highest risk area for Keloid scars.  There are safer and more effective ways to treat scars than covering them with tattoos.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin resurfacing after tattoo

+1

The question is - can you get laser resurfacing after tattoo removal to improve underlying scarring. The answer is yes but you need to be very careful and have someone very experienced treat you. Non-facial skin resurfacing (fractional or full-field) can be used to treat scarring with or without tattoo removal but needs to be treated not very deeply and with multiple treatments due to the skin thickness and lack of sebaceous glands. Bottom line - do your homework.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon