Using Laser Tattoo Removal for Permanent Lip Liner Can Your Lips Stay Permanently Black?

I'm contemplating getting my lip liner removed by laser tattoo removal, I know it turns black after first treatment but has there been cases where the lip stays permanently black?

Laser tattoo removal of permanent lip liner may cause an irreversible reaction causing it to turn black

+1

Red tattoo ink may turn black if it contains an iron oxide ink.when this happens it is instantaneous and irreversible.the black pigment will still respond to laser treatment but it is often difficult to remove and can require more than 20 treatment sessions requiring 1-2 years of treatment. This treatment time can be shortened by doing 3 or 4treatment sessions on the same day 

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmetic lip liner tattoos require laser expertise

+1

This is a wonderful question and shows that you have done your research. I can't comment too much without knowing what the tattoo looks like but yes there is certainly a risk of the ink darkening, although this may not happen either. Even if the ink does darken however, it is still possible to continue to treat the tattoo particle. I would recommend you see a physician with expertise in lasers such as a board certified dermatologist. They can evaluate your particular tattoo and discuss the risk and likelihood of darkening and the best way to go about treating your unwanted tattoo.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon