Laser Tattoo Removal Before Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'3'' and weigh about 131 lbs. I have excess skin left over from pregnancy that wrinkles up above problem is I also have a tattoo of a daisy chain around my belly button. Can I have Laser Tattoo Removal before undergoing Tummy Tuck? If so, how soon after the procedure can I have Tummy Tuck?

Have the Tummy Tuck first

As everyone else has resoundingly said below - have the tummy tuck first. I would not consider a higher scar than usual because scars are permanent and a higher scar will be visible above your panty line. Choose a normal low scar and when you have healed you can treat the remaining tattoo with removal. An even cheaper and simpler scenario is to revise the tattoo in its lower position and combine the new part of the tattoo with camouflage for the scar. The central part of the tummy tuck scar is often the most visible, so a continuation of the tattoo over the scar may work great, unless you want to completely remove the tattoo.

Laser Tattoo Removal Before Tummy Tuck?

I also agree with everyone below that you should have the tummy tuck first to see how much of the tattoo is removed then have the laser tattoo removal.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal generally not advisable before Abdominoplasty

Depending on the location of the tattoo, you may not need to undergo the laser removal, the tattoo might be in an area where the skin is being resected. Generally speaking, you would seek to avoid damaging any of the skin that might be under stretch as part of the surgery, so I would recommend that laser tattoo removal not be undertaken prior to abdominoplasty. However, the issue should be evaluated on an individual basis, and during the consultation, the surgeon can help determine what would be the safest course of action to take.

Manish Raj Gupta, MD
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck first then remove what is left of the tattoo

As the doctor stated above, tattoo removal will take a very long time, over a year and multiple treatments.

A tummy tuck will remove about half of the tattoo and what is left will be low near your bathing suit line. There will also be fewer laser treatments necessary to remove the tatoo if half is removed by surgery.

Ask your doctor for his opinion, but I would do the tummy tuck first.

Would make more sense to do it after

it will probably take many laser treatments to remove the tattoo, so your surgery might be waiting awhile. if you have the surgery first, there will probably be some of the tattoo removed , leaving less work to do with the laser.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and tummy tucks

Any tattoos over the belly button will remain after a tummy tuck, but they will be pulled down to the pubic area. This is sometimes hard to picture, but imagine pulling down a t-shirt and watching a stain pull down with it. Many women create new tattoos over the tummy tuck scar, but the incisions generally hide in a bikini, so it isn't really necessary.

In your case, the lower part of the daisy chain will be removed, and the upper part will stay in place. Check out the link below to see some great tummy tuck tattoos that you can have to embellish yours. Very cool.

Tattoo removal and tummy tuck

Thank you for your question, and for posting your photograph.  From what I can see, you'd be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  Regarding your tattoo, the operation would likely eliminate the portion of the artwork that lies at the level of the belly button and below; the upper portion would remain, and would sit along the upper border of the lower abdominal tummy tuck incision.  While laser tattoo removal would be a possibility prior to surgery, I would recommend waiting until after surgery is complete - only a small portion of the tattoo will remain, and will be in a much less visible position.  If you'd still like the tattoo removed, I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 months after surgery, to allow for maturation of the surgical scar before laser treatment in the area.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Wait!

I would suggest you wait until after the tummy tuck to have tattoo removal.  The majority of the tattoo should come off surgically.

Tummy tuck

See your plastic surgeon first. The surgery alone might remove the tattoo Or it could be repositioned, possible in a place that you like. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and Tummy Tucks

Tattoos can be removed by some lasers, but the brighter colors are harder to remove and often just fades them. You should try laser first and then can adjust your tummy tuck scar to remove the remainder.  Typically a tummy tuck removes any skin (and tattoo) below the belly button and moves the skin above to the supra-pubic location below underwear and bathing suit lines.