Laser Tattoo Removal Before Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'3'' and weigh about 131 lbs. I have excess skin left over from pregnancy that wrinkles up above problem is I also have a tattoo of a daisy chain around my belly button. Can I have Laser Tattoo Removal before undergoing Tummy Tuck? If so, how soon after the procedure can I have Tummy Tuck?

Have the Tummy Tuck first

+3

As everyone else has resoundingly said below - have the tummy tuck first. I would not consider a higher scar than usual because scars are permanent and a higher scar will be visible above your panty line. Choose a normal low scar and when you have healed you can treat the remaining tattoo with removal. An even cheaper and simpler scenario is to revise the tattoo in its lower position and combine the new part of the tattoo with camouflage for the scar. The central part of the tummy tuck scar is often the most visible, so a continuation of the tattoo over the scar may work great, unless you want to completely remove the tattoo.

Laser Tattoo Removal Before Tummy Tuck?

+2

I also agree with everyone below that you should have the tummy tuck first to see how much of the tattoo is removed then have the laser tattoo removal.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal generally not advisable before Abdominoplasty

+2

Depending on the location of the tattoo, you may not need to undergo the laser removal, the tattoo might be in an area where the skin is being resected. Generally speaking, you would seek to avoid damaging any of the skin that might be under stretch as part of the surgery, so I would recommend that laser tattoo removal not be undertaken prior to abdominoplasty. However, the issue should be evaluated on an individual basis, and during the consultation, the surgeon can help determine what would be the safest course of action to take.

Manish Raj Gupta, MD
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck first then remove what is left of the tattoo

+2

As the doctor stated above, tattoo removal will take a very long time, over a year and multiple treatments.

A tummy tuck will remove about half of the tattoo and what is left will be low near your bathing suit line. There will also be fewer laser treatments necessary to remove the tatoo if half is removed by surgery.

Ask your doctor for his opinion, but I would do the tummy tuck first.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Would make more sense to do it after

+2

it will probably take many laser treatments to remove the tattoo, so your surgery might be waiting awhile. if you have the surgery first, there will probably be some of the tattoo removed , leaving less work to do with the laser.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Wait!

+1
I would suggest you wait until after the tummy tuck to have tattoo removal.  The majority of the tattoo should come off surgically.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
See your plastic surgeon first. The surgery alone might remove the tattoo Or it could be repositioned, possible in a place that you like. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and Tummy Tucks

+1
Tattoos can be removed by some lasers, but the brighter colors are harder to remove and often just fades them. You should try laser first and then can adjust your tummy tuck scar to remove the remainder.  Typically a tummy tuck removes any skin (and tattoo) below the belly button and moves the skin above to the supra-pubic location below underwear and bathing suit lines.

Laser tattoo removal

+1

I would wait to undergo laser tattoo removal since about half of the scar will be removed with the tummy tuck and the remainder will be so low that it may not bother you any longer.  Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal after Tummy Tuck

+1

I would also recommend the tummy tuck first followed by a laser tattoo removal 4-6 months after the tummy tuck.     The majority of your tattoo will be removed and the portion remaining should be easily hidden in most undergarments.

Paul S. Gill, MD