Laser Tattoo Removal Before Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'3'' and weigh about 131 lbs. I have excess skin left over from pregnancy that wrinkles up above problem is I also have a tattoo of a daisy chain around my belly button. Can I have Laser Tattoo Removal before undergoing Tummy Tuck? If so, how soon after the procedure can I have Tummy Tuck?

Have the Tummy Tuck first

+3

As everyone else has resoundingly said below - have the tummy tuck first. I would not consider a higher scar than usual because scars are permanent and a higher scar will be visible above your panty line. Choose a normal low scar and when you have healed you can treat the remaining tattoo with removal. An even cheaper and simpler scenario is to revise the tattoo in its lower position and combine the new part of the tattoo with camouflage for the scar. The central part of the tummy tuck scar is often the most visible, so a continuation of the tattoo over the scar may work great, unless you want to completely remove the tattoo.

Laser Tattoo Removal Before Tummy Tuck?

+2

I also agree with everyone below that you should have the tummy tuck first to see how much of the tattoo is removed then have the laser tattoo removal.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal generally not advisable before Abdominoplasty

+2

Depending on the location of the tattoo, you may not need to undergo the laser removal, the tattoo might be in an area where the skin is being resected. Generally speaking, you would seek to avoid damaging any of the skin that might be under stretch as part of the surgery, so I would recommend that laser tattoo removal not be undertaken prior to abdominoplasty. However, the issue should be evaluated on an individual basis, and during the consultation, the surgeon can help determine what would be the safest course of action to take.

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck first then remove what is left of the tattoo

+2

As the doctor stated above, tattoo removal will take a very long time, over a year and multiple treatments.

A tummy tuck will remove about half of the tattoo and what is left will be low near your bathing suit line. There will also be fewer laser treatments necessary to remove the tatoo if half is removed by surgery.

Ask your doctor for his opinion, but I would do the tummy tuck first.

Would make more sense to do it after

+2

it will probably take many laser treatments to remove the tattoo, so your surgery might be waiting awhile. if you have the surgery first, there will probably be some of the tattoo removed , leaving less work to do with the laser.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Laser tattoo removal

+1

I would wait to undergo laser tattoo removal since about half of the scar will be removed with the tummy tuck and the remainder will be so low that it may not bother you any longer.  Best of luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal after Tummy Tuck

+1

I would also recommend the tummy tuck first followed by a laser tattoo removal 4-6 months after the tummy tuck.     The majority of your tattoo will be removed and the portion remaining should be easily hidden in most undergarments.

Web reference: http://ww.drpaulgill.com

Tattoo removal after tummy tuck

+1

If you are going to have a tummy tuck anyhow for contouring of the abdomen, I would have that done first and wait a few months to see how everything looks.  There is a high likelihood that a significant amount of your tattoo would simply be removed with the tummy tuck, making laser of that much of the tattoo unnecessary, and what remains might be small enough and low enough below the bikini line that it isn't a problem for you.  If it is, then you can have laser tattoo removal on that reduced portion of the tattoo after the skin heals at about 3 months postop.

Your Best Option Is To Have Abdominoplasty Followed By Laser Treatments To Remove Any Residual Tattoo

+1

In your situation, the best option is abdominoplasty followed by laser treatments to remove any residual tattoo. The vast majority of your tattoo would be removed by an abdominoplasty.  It would be pointless to perform laser tattoo removal on tissue that would be resected during this procedure.  This approach has the added advantages of significant cost savings by avoiding unnecessary laser treatments.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Laser tattoo removal takes multiple treatments

+1
Yes, but keep in mind that laser tattoo removal does require multiple treatments, as much as ten or more, once per month or six weeks apart, so this could delay your Tummy Tuck.