Is Laser Surgery the Most Effective Form of Male Breast Reduction?

What natural, non-surgical methods that will produce the same results as surgery for mael breast reduction?

Gynecomastia

+2

There is currently no recommended, FDA-approved medical (i.e. non-surgical) treatment for gynecomastia. While gynecomastia may spontaneously regress in some instances, in most adolescent and adult males the breast tissue development is a permanent change that must be treated surgically. In the few cases where a definite cause can be identified, such as low testosterone levels or exposure to a particular medication, the gynecomastia almost always persists after the causative factor is corrected or eliminated. Because gynecomastia is so different from person to person, it is absolutely critical that the surgical approach to this problem is carefully individualized.

'Pure glandular' gynecomastia ('puffy nipples') in most cases can be treated by direct tissue excision alone. There is no fatty tissue excess and no significant skin excess. The glandular breast tissue enlargement is located immediately behind the nipple and areola, and is removed through an incision placed at the inferior border of the areola. The incision can be limited, in most cases, from about the 4 o'clock to the 8 o'clock position of the areola. The color difference between areolar skin and chest skin serves to conceal this incision quite nicely for most patients. In many cases the scar is completely invisible after just a few weeks or months of healing.

The most common form of gynecomastia ('mixed glandular / adipose') requires ultrasonic liposuction and in some cases direct breast tissue excision as well. Ultrasonic liposuction involves the use of ultrasonic energy to emulsify fat (turn it from solid to liquid) after the infiltration of tumescent solution and before the aspiration of fat. The ultrasonic energy is delivered using a solid probe that is extremely effective at breaking up the dense, fibrous breast tissue behind the nipple-areola complex. In some cases it is effective enough to eliminate the need to make an incision at the areolar border to directly remove breast tissue following ultrasonic liposuction. This practice employs the VASER® ultrasonic liposuction system developed by Sound Surgical Technologies, Inc. A specialized VASER® probe designed specifically for gynecomastia has made the device even more effective for this particular procedure.

Whenever possible, it is preferable to avoid skin excision and the scars that result from it. If the surgery leaves obvious scars and the patient is very self-conscious about them, then the patient has merely traded one reason to never take off their shirt ("man-boobs") for another (scars that show you had surgery for your "man boobs'). In some cases this requires a staged surgical approach. In the first procedure, breast tissue is removed by ultrasonic liposuction with or without direct tissue removal - but only up to the point where a deflated or 'saggier' breast appearance is not produced. Several months are allowed to pass so that the final liposuction result can be evaluated. During this time, the skin tends to retract for two reasons: a significant portion of the distending breast and adipose tissue has been removed, and the energy produced by the ultrasonic liposuction device has stimulated further tissue and skin retraction.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Laser surgery not for gynecomastia

+1
A laser is either a cutting tool, substituting for a scalpel, or a method for skin resurfacing. Gynecomastia requires either skin and glandular resection, liposuction, or both. At this time, there are no pharmacological substitutes for surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Male breast reduction - surgery the only answer

+1

Unfortunately, surgery is the only treatment for male breast enlargement or gynecomastia.  Most of the time this can be done with liposuction and my patients go back to the gym in 5 days.  I would advise you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon so you can review your options and hopefully avoid wasting money on the advertised nonsurgical techniques that won't work in my opinion.  As an aside, laser is not a magic wand but a tool.  it is not better than standard liposuction but does have increased risks.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Non Exist.

+1

I am ask this question frequently.  If you have true gynecomastia it will not resolve after its development unless you are in the  teenage years. Diet and exercise will reduced the fat tissue but the breast gland will not resolve.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Male Reduction?

+1

Unfortunately, there are no  effective nonsurgical  techniques to reduce  gynecomastia.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.
I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

Surgery is the best treatment for gynecomastia (male breasts)

+1

There is no treatment (non-surgical) that can give the results that surgery can for male breast reduction. Gynecomastia (excess male breast tissue) is typically treated with a combination of liposuction to removes excess fat plus direct excision of breast tissue through a small areolar incision. Non-surgical treatments can not remove the breast tissue, which is quite firm. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation to see which approach is best for you.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD