Is Laser Surgery on Hypertrophic Scars Recommended?

I have a red, raised scar on my chin (partially faded) and I was wondering if it's recommended to have Laser treatment and if so what are the side effects? Thanks.

Laser treatment of hypertrophic scars

+2

Laser treatment of hypertrophic facial scars in my opinion has been very helpful in allowing them to resolve quicker with better results. We typically recommend vascular laser treatments to alleviate the redness or discoloration and that helps the scar to flatten faster with better results. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed dye laser for scars and scar revision

+1

Pulsed dye laser works very well on scars on most parts of the body.  The vascular laser can help smoothe thickened scar tissue. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

1540 Laser treatment (not surgery) is excellent Hypertrophic scar treatment

+1

Many lasers are proposed as effective for treating Hypertrophic Scars. Some are for redness (Pulsed Dye) some make scars worse (CO2) but in my experience none are as effective as the 1540 Non ablative Fractional Erbium Laser.

WE have had excellent results using the 1540 even on new surgical wounds.

We typically start with IPL Intense Pulsed Light to reduce redness followed by the 1540 to reduce bulk.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Laser surgery for scars

+1

Using a pulse-dye laser &/or IPL can be helpful in reducing redness in a scar, and somtimes flattening the scar a little. For thickened scars, there is still no better treatment than intralesional cortisone, and occasionally a little liquid nitrogen.

See your dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your best & safest treatment options.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment of hypertrophic scars

+1

This truly depends on the type of laser and in some instances the use of IPL may provide an improved results. In some instances, I have seen the laser aggravate or stimulate additional scar growth.