Is Laser Surgery a Good Option for my Neck?

I am a young active male. I have almost no body fat (6%) and I have never been overweight. I have an extremely well defined jaw line. I have what is either excess skin or my neck bands hang too much. Would a laser treatment under my neck be a good option combined with Botox?

Laser for neck

Without examining you in person it is difficult to say what would be best for you.  Lasers that state that they tighten the skin at best improve it 20-30%.

Best Treatment for Excess Neck Skin

The Best treatment would critically depend on your actual physical examination.

- If there is minimal skin excess but prominence of the inverted V shaped Pillars (of the platysma muscle) Botox would greatly smooth the bands with the need for surgery.

- If there is mild skin excess, the neck skin CAN be made tighter NON-invasively with SKINTYTE . This lunch time treatment shrinks deep collagen fibers while keeping the skin cool and is done in several sessions spaced a few weeks apart. We offer it in our office and our patients like it. (Look it up on YouTube. You will be impressed!).

- If you have a significant looseness of neck skin similar to a "Turkey Neck" your best option would then be a Neck Lift which may be combined with a lower Facelift, as needed.

Good Luck

Dr. P. Aldea

Neck bands

The most effective way to create a tighter neck is by seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to have a neck lift. Some people who don't want surgery, can benefit from botox injections, in this off-label use, to tighten up the bands but they don't look as sharp or tight compared to a neck lift. If it is loose skin, possibly Thermage may help tighten, but I don't think it will help the muscle bands much, if at all.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser is NOT a good option for neck bands and excess skin.

I have seen many patients who have had this with a bad type of scar contracture. A facelift with band removal will probably be best--without seeing your pictures.