What is the Best Laser Treatment for Surgical Scars?

I recently had a facial trauma and my forehead split open. The initial scar from the ER was terrible, but the scar has since been revised nicely and is now just a thin red line that is ever-so-slightly indented. Revision surgery was 6 weeks ago and the doc also did subcision two days ago to reduce indentation. I am scheduled for Fraxel on Monday but getting cold feet. Is it the right laser for me? Should I wait and give it more time to see what happens with the subcision? Thanks for your response!

Fraxel Laser is best for scars

+3

Hi miss g,

Fraxel is a great laser for the treatment of scars.  You will likely need 3-6 treatments separated by 2-4 weeks.  The end point in my patients is when we both have trouble finding the scar.  Put some socks on so your feet won't be so cold.

Good luck and be well. 

Dr. P

Best Laser for Scar Revision

+2

Hi Miss_g,

If you just had subcision after having surgical revision only 6 weeks ago, we think it is too soon to be undertaking a Fraxel laser treatment. If the revision and the subcision have worked well in helping wiht the texture, we think the next step would be a pulsed dye laser for the redness. But we usually wait 6 months to give the scar some time to heal. Infliciting more trauma a tthis time with a Fraxel laser we think is a mistake. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/scars.aspx

Scar revision

+2

6 weeks after a revision is way to early to have to do anything. Usually scars will stay red for a while and settle out, but they usually look there worst at 6 weeks. You may not need anything else but time to allow it to look better. If the scar becomes raised, sure a laser to plane it down like an erbium may be ok. The redness you can treat with an IPL machine.

Wait and let it heal first

+1

You very recently had scar revision. Let the thing heal before you traumatize it again. My opinion is that many of these scars get better with time. You don't need to jump in to more treatment right now. 

This time my opinion is that of dissent.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel may be an option

+1

I’m glad you’ve gotten a good result so far from the surgery. Some people recommend Botox in the early phase after surgery on the forehead to relax the muscular pull on the incision. You might want to consider this depending on the exact location of the surgery. Fraxel is a very good and overall very safe treatment, but scars can react differently than normal skin, even with blisters, rarely, after Fraxel.

Many scars do improve within several months and if you wait another month or two you can still obtain a nice result should you choose to have Fraxel then. Keep in mind that one study investigated dermabrasion resurfacing, which is not Fraxel, and showed that the scar obtained a better result at eight weeks than compared with 6 weeks or 3 or 4 months. However, your own body may make it heal better and better so waiting is an option. If you are hesitant, then ask your doctor if they think waiting is OK.

Fraxel is reasonable to use for scars

+1

I have had good luck using fraxel (restore) on scars. one to three treatments has been the usual course. Minimal downside risk so no reason to be nervous about doing this. never forget that the biologic process of scar maturation (and improvement) can go on for a year or more so don't give up on the appearance improving too soon.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon