Which Laser is Better for Stretch Marks?

Wanted to ask what kind of laser out of Matrix RF or Fotona(erbium)is better for still red stretch marks(I'm light-skinned). Or do I have to combine 2 types of lasers - radiofreq. and regular light laser? And the most important - do I have to close my eyes while doing RF like it has to be done with the regular lasers? And can this RF cause scarring? For me the best option - not to use light devices. Anyway, can I take some other non-ablative treatments instead both lasers?

Trying Lasers for Stretch Marks

+2

If there was a best treatment, there would be only one.

There is no one right answer. Different experts will use different technologies for the very same patient.  Any given expert might recommend different modalities for different patients.

The technologies are evolving.

Ask to look at your facility's own before and after photos of their own patients to help you decide.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Artisan 1540 Non Ablative Laser for Striae

+1

We have found that the Palomar Artisan 1540nm non-ablative fractional resurfacing platform is quite effective for the treatment of stretch marks or striae. Best results are achieved earlier rather than later, but we've successfully treated stretch marks that are over 20 years old. It does require a number of treatments to achieve satisfactory results -- often 6-8 or more treatments.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers generally disappoint in treating stretch marks...

+1

Hi there-

There is unfortunately no laser that effectively eradicates stretch marks... It is possible in some cases to achieve limited improvement in the APPEARANCE of the stretch mark using one laser or another (depending on what the stretch mark looks like in the individual situation), but the stretch mark will remain.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Laser is Better for Stretch Marks

+1

That's the million dollar question. All have limited success rates. It is a risk and loss $'s that you have to determine if worth it. 

Don't Get Taken

+1

Lasers don't do anything for stretchmarks. Anybody trying to convince you to use a laser for this is just trying to sell you a bill of goods. Be cautious and check credentials.

Mark Broudo, MD

Lasers have limited benefit for stretch marks

+1

Stretch marks are a due to a tear in the dermis, the layer under the surface of the skin. Early on, they are typically red or pink and lasers can help them fade. However, they usually fade anyway, and the laser treatments don't completely stimulate the skin to grow new dermis to repair the tear. Same for RF and the other noninvasive techniques, unfortunately. To make matters worse, skin with stretch marks is typically somewhat loose, so getting the marks to fade doesn't always address the whole issue anyway.

Richard Baxter, MD

Neither

+1

Lasers do not get rid of stretch marks. Time will usually cause them to turn white. Then if you are a candidate a scalpel with a tummy tuck can surgicaly remove those below the belly button. You are stuck with the rest.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD