Will Laser Skin Tighten Help My Abdomen After Kids? (photo)

Hi, i'm almost to my ideal weight( pre babies) my stomach keeps looking worse. I have this wrinkle skin above my belly button. I have twin boys and a daughter 16 months apart! I'm 5''4 124 lbs. Seems like the more weight I lose the worse my stomach is looking. Help plz. My skin feels like it got wriped away from my muscle . :( Is ther a chance it will reconnect on its own? but when I put up it goes back to normal :)

Laser skin tight versus tummy tuck

+1

The amount of tightening you will get from Laser skin tightening will be modest at best. I don't think that treatments like Thermage or Exilis will adequately treat this either.

In order to get the most benefit for your effort, a tummy tuck will address the skin laxity, especially around your belly button.

I know that this may not be what you want to hear. However, scars fade in time and the only way to get rid of that skin is surgical removal.

Loose abdominal skin and stretched abdominal wall...no laser will improve this

+1

As you can see, we all agree that no laser can improve the sagging skin and stretched abdominal wall after childbirth. If the skin and fascia does not retract to the pre-pregnancy appearence by a year, it will not ever retract. Only a full abdominoplasty will resolve your problem. I combine my abdominoplasty with dual layer radiofrequency to help stimulate collagen just under the skin.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

The best option for management of most problems is always the one that reverses the cause of the problem...

+1

Hi there-

I have had many patients like yourself over the years, and would bet that when you are not sucking in and your abdominal muscles are completely relaxed, your abdomen is a bit more round than in these photos and that the wrinkled skin appears less so... because the skin and the underlying muscle necessarily interact.

In other words, the changes your body experienced as a result of your pregnancies are the same ones most women experience (although in the big scheme of things, you clearly are ahead of the averages!).

If you consider the layers of the abdominal wall and the changes that occur in each as a result of pregnancy, as well as the interaction between your skin and the underlying muscle (as mentioned, they are not independent of each other), your best bet is going to be an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. It is my strong opinion that anything short of this would not only NOT achieve the lovely and natural appearance you undoubtedly want, but will leave you with the bad taste in your mouth we all get when we feel we've been duped, and may even injure you.

As much as I know you would like to believe there is a magic treatment out there for your problem, your best interests over the long term would be best served by understanding that your body has indeed undergone these changes through the reality of your pregnancies, and that the best management option is going to be the one that definitively reverses these changes in your anatomy- a tummy tuck.

Armando Soto, MD

Some improvement can be achieved but perhaps not enough for satisfaction

+1

It appears that you have worked hard to get most of your figure back following a twin pregnancy. Unfortunately no amount of exercise will result in the damaged and lax skin looking smooth again. With a consultation a Plastic Surgeon would be able to show you how to surgically tighten the abdominal skin and underlying muscle with a "Tummy Tuck".  In selected patients, a "reverse tummy tuck" can be a good option. I reserve this to patients just like you that are at or near their ideal weight, have a strong and intact abdominal muscle wall, have most of their skin laxity above the umbilicus and already have or will accept a scar under each breast.. A standard tummy tuck can also work for you with the scar placed across the lower abdomen, a scar around you belly button and very likely a small vertical scar in the lower abdominal mid line as well.

There are a number of laser, radiofrequency and combination devices on the market claiming to address your exact problem. Some do work in some patients! The problem is that it is not predictable how much skin tightening you will achieve. In my practice, patients with your starting point have a consultation with me and we decide together on what to try. Certain patients may be offered a non-surgical treatment strategy depending on  goals and expectations. An experienced Plastic Surgeon who offers non-surgical options will be able to align your expectations with what different approaches are available and require.

Good luck

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Reverse Abdominoplasty and other variations on Abdominoplasty

+1

I agree with the opinion that purported skin tightening devices would not succeed here.  A traditional abdominoplasty would be a good option, and the laxity of your skin above the belly button should allow for an acceptably low transverse (hip to hip) scar.  If you can accept a small vertical (up and down) scar just above the transverse scar, transverse scar height would definitely not be a problem.
A second option to consider is a reverse abdominoplasty, in which the loose skin is pulled upward and excised along the fold under the breasts.  This has the advantages of a smaller operation and elimination of the typical scar around your belly button, but the potential disadvantage of a problem scar under/between your breasts or breast shape distortion.  See a surgeon with experience doing reverse abdominoplasty if you are considering this option.

Michael Kreidstein MD, MSc, FRCS(C)

Michael Kreidstein, MD

+1

Based upon your so kindly posted photos my guess is no. Sorry but very hard to recommend laser lipo or any skin tightener in your case. 

Laser does not tighten skin

+1
you have excess lax skin that will not respond to laser, ultrasound, radiofrequency or any other 'latests and greatest' gadget out there.  Only a removal of the excess skin will help you.  Unfortunately it appears your skin excess is limited to the area above the belly which means a tummy tuck would leave you with a scar that would be sitting too high for my liking.  However, without a proper physical examination it is impossible to make any definitive conclusions.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Laser skin tightening will NOT fix this!

+1

Congratulations on attaining your pre-baby weight; your physique looks great! However, your abdominal skin has been stretched past its inherent elasticity, and weight loss (or liposuction of any type) only further deflates the already-too-lax skin, making it worse. Your skin has not been ripped from its attachments; these attachments have been so stretched that they no longer provide proper support. There is NO laser, RF (radio frequency), ultrasonic, infrared, LED, or combination therapy that will cause any significant change for the better in this type of skin. The only one who benefits from these devices or techniques is the SELLER! Just say NO!

You need a tummy tuck--a full, standard, rectus sheath plicating, umbilical-transposing tummy tuck. No umbilicoplasty or mini-tuck will do the job either, so don't waste your money or time (and disappointment).

See one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons for expert advice regarding this. All of us agree because this is correct advice! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Laser abdominal skin tightening

+1
Laser skin tightening has better results in the facial ares and decreases in efficacy as you progress downward in the body. Your photos show lax, over stretched skin that has lost its elastic properties and will not "shrink wrap" with any laser treatment. You would be best served by a tummy tuck.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with lax and wrinkly skin following multiple pregnancies

+1

Your situation is typical following multiple pregnancies. You have lax, crepey skin which appears worse with greater weight loss. This latter issue is due to less fat stretching out the relatively lax and excess skin. Laser treatments will not treat your condition. Instead, consider a procedure that will actually tighten the skin and underlying muscle layer: a tummy tuck.

You should seek one or more consultations from board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD