Laser or Scar Revision

I have a scar resulting from elyptical excision of a mole under the skin. The scar is on the upper side of my nose. The site became infected while sutures were in and the swelling made them dig into the skin. I now have a bit of an indention on one side of the closure and the other side is bumpy scar tissue with suture indents between. The top is puffed like a dogs ear. How much of the dogs ear or all of the above could likely be corrected with laser or will I need scar revision?

Probably a surgical revision....

+2

Most likely if you truly have a great deal of excess tissue (aka, dog-ear deformity), then a surgical revision would be ideal.  Lasers are fantastic for scars but generally more so for depressed (or indented) scars and for the unwanted pigmentation that may arise in scarring.  CO2 lasers are potentially helpful for excess tissue as well and yes, it certainly needs to be examined by a proficient laser and surgical MD (dermatologist or plastic surgeon). 

Seattle Dermatologist

Laser or Scar Revision

+2

I would really need to see photos to provide you with the best advice. Other procedures may help as well. It would be best for you to have a consultation with a board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon who has a great deal of experience performing procedures that reduce the appearance of scars. Thank you very much for the question, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nose Scar Options?

+1

Hi Slendy.  Lasers, steroid injections and/or a surgical revision are all options, but without seeing the scar and/or evaluating you in person, it is difficult to say what procedure is the most viable for you.

We always suggest going to several consultations with qualified surgeons to determine the options you have.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Scar revision

+1

Unfortunately, the best way to answer this question is in person. You should show it to a plastic surgeon that is skilled at scar revision and understand the risks. It is not uncommon for a surgeon to chase "dog ears" only to make the scar worse.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon