When Can I Have Laser Scar Revision?

How long should you wait to try laser scar revision after a traumatic facial laceration? Laceration was on the skin just above the lip and it extends to the border of the upper lip. The scar is red and depressed a little bit.

Wait a year & watch it on the laser fetish......

+1

More people are suckered in by the idea of laser scar treatment even when it is a poor treatment for their particular scar. Scars vary and the proper treatments do as well. Don't go in with the idea of having one specific treatment. Be open to the possibility of multiple treatments.

Wait a year first.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait for Laser Scar Revision

+1

Hi Balti1414,

We normally recommend that patients wait approximately 6 months after the scar is repaired before undergoing laser procedures. Before limiting yourself to laser procedures, though, you may want to consider one or more of the following:

• CO2 Laser Resurfacing
  • Erbium Laser Resurfacing
  • Fractional Laser Resurfacing
  • Subcision
  • Surgical Revision
  • Dermabrasion

Understand that there is not necessarily one "best" treatment for you but rather several good alternatives. Whatever you do, evaluate several options with plastic surgeons, dermatologic surgeons and practitioners that specialize in laser procedures. This is the only way to know your options and be an informed patient. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/scars.aspx

Always Wait Before Revising the Scar

+1

Over time, even the most unsightly, ugly scars tend to improve. I have been amazed by the remarkable healing properties of time. The body constantly remodels and repairs wounds and scars. What a scar looks like when it is fresh is rarely what it will wind up looking like when it is fully "mature."

Over the years, I have seen many horrible looking scars, some of which I was sure would need eventual revision. The incredible thing is that the longer the patient waited to revise the scars, the better the scar looked (in most cases). A great number of my patients were eventually so satisfied by the appearance of the "mature" scar that they opted to do no revision whatsoever.

There are instances, of course, where it is impractical to wait a prolonged period of time, such as a disfiguiring scar on the face. In those cases, I recommend waiting at least 4-6 months to see how the scar improves on its own before considering revision.

Laser scar revision is a very powerful tool. I usually use a carbon dioxide laser for scar revision. This procedure can produce wonderful results, but it requires time for the skin to heal after revision, and of course there are real risks/complications that must be addressed before considering this treatment.

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.