Laser Scar Removal for Breast Implant Removal Scars?

I read online that laser scar removal does not work well on scars that are "white and flat". I was interested in trying laser scar removal after my breast implant removal surgery. My scars will be in my crease. The scars from the implants are healing nicely (3 weeks old), and look like they will be "white and flat". Is laser only idea for scars that are raised and discolored? What other options can I do to ensure proper fading of my incision scars?

Scar treatment for breast implant scars

+1

Vbeam laser and fractional co2 laser can both help the texture and red color of a surgical scar. The scars will not disappear, but only improve with treatment. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

White scar treatment

+1

Unfortunately, in my experience I have seen very little improvement in white, flat scars with any treatment modality. Sometimes if it is irregular you can get some minor improvement with a fractionated laser. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers can improve scar formation

+1

Scars that are new and red scars are great targets for laser treatments. Typically initial treatments are done with the pulsed dye laser such as Vbeam. Additional improvement can be achieved with fractional laser and/or scar injections. Older scars that are white may get some improvement in the pigment and texture with a laser like Fraxel Restore 1550. Other options include good wound care, minimize friction and trauma to the area, and use of topical products for scarring such as silicone gels and sheets.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist