Will Laser Scar Removal Fix my Knee Scar at All? (photo)

I have a small scar on my knee, probably an inch long. It healed very odd. It's almost wrinkly and lighter then my actually skin. It also seems thicker than the rest of my skin. I'm 20 and I've had this scar for maybe 4 years. It happened when I was on vacation in Europe and I'm assuming it should have been stitched up. Since I heard laser scar removal on the knee is difficult would this benefit me at all? And would it be costly?

Medical Microneedling Can Improve The Color & Texture of Whitish Scars

+1

Unfortunately, I have not been impressed with the success of lasers in treating these kinds of problems.  On the other hand, in my experience, medical microneedling has proven a viable, minimally invasive, cost effective option for improving the color and texture of such scars. It has been used successfully for years to treat all kinds of scars, including those arising from trauma, as in this case, acne, surgical, and even infection conditions, such as from chicken pox.

Microneedling, which may be performed either manually with a roller or a motorized device using only topical anesthesia, employs an array of needles that pierce the surface of the scar to break up the surface tissue and create microchannels. This, too, allows for new collagen formation, but also makes possible the transferring (auto-transplanting) of functioning pigment producing cells from the surrounding normal area into the scar area. When this is combined with the application of tyrosine, the essential chemical involved in natural pigment production, the process of repigmenting can be enhanced. Medical microneedling, too, yields best results when performed as a series of two to four treatment sessions at six week intervals.

Will Laser Scar Removal Fix my Knee Scar at All?

+1

(0% failure rates. But 10% success, so is that worth the try??? Fees from $500 to $5,000. depends if one or multiple treatments. 

Laser scar treatment

+1

The texture and thickness of your scar can improve with a series of CO2 laser treatments. In some instances, the color will improve as well and will be closer to the color of the surrounding skin. Surgical removal of the spread scar and replacement with a fine linear scar is very difficult in this location on the knee.

Franziska Ringpfeil, MD
Philadelphia Dermatologist