Laser Scar Removal After Breast Lift?

I am considering laser to remove my breast lift scars. How long after surgery should I wait?

Lasers to Treat Scars

+2

No laser can remove scars.

There are numerous laser and light technologies purporting to reduce scars, but their use is relatively new and largely unproven by good clinical research studies

I would advise allowing 18 months for normal scar maturation before undertaking any laser treatments; then, do so with the advice and supervision of your plastic surgeon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scar removal is not a reality

+2

As plastic surgeons we have many tools to help us improve the appearance of scars and laser and light based therapies is one of them. Laser is particularly helpful for immature scars that are pink or slightly raised. Sun protection is also beneficial as is topical massage and silicone sheeting over breast scars.

Surgery can also be used to revise scars to relieve tension, redirect, or reposition them to help make them less noticeable.

The key word here is improvement, as removal is just not possible. Time and patience can be the best solution for many.

peterejohnsonmd

Intense pulsed light or laser treatment may improve redness of scars.

+2

There is no way to completely remove a scar from any surgery. When the skin is cut full thickness during an operation, there will always be a scar in that site.

We have found that treatment of immature (new) scars with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL or BBL - Broad Band Light) can decrease the redness of these scars more effectively than doing nothing.

These treatments, combined with sun avoidance, wearing SPF 30 sunblock over the exposed area, and scar massage with any of the various available scar creams, may improve scar appearance more quickly than if you were to do nothing.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment of breast lift scars

+2

Lasers have many applications in Aesthetic (Cosmetic) medicine and surgery.

For the treatment of scars, pulse dye lasers and pigment lasers (such as the alexandrite laser) have been shown to be beneficial.

Rest assured that breast scars generally heal well, but may remain red for a prolonged period of time (up to a year). Furthermore, pigmentation of the scar may occur in some cases.

It is unlikely that any laser will completely remove the scar. Instead, the laser will make the scar softer, eliminate the redness and pigmentation, and make the scars less noticable.

Generally, laser treatment can be initiated immediately after the wounds have completely healed.

I hope your found this information useful. Good luck with your treatment.

A. Peter Salas, MD

Laser "scar removal"

+2

There is truthfully no such thing as "laser scar removal". Once you have a cut or incision, you will always have a scar. Scars take quite a while to fully mature, and they go through a normal healing process. Right after surgery (the first few weeks), the skin is touching and the scar might look great. For the first 6-8 weeks after the incision, the body piles up collagen (a building material used to heal scars), and the scars become noticeable and thick. After that, the body starts re-orienting the collagen components in scars, rearranging them along lines of tension, and small muscle cells (myofibroblasts) try to make the scars smaller with contraction. This whole process of scar maturation takes 1 to 2 years (when viewed under a microscope), but for most people looking at scars from the outside, it varies from 6 to 18 months. Scars are considered mature when they are flat and no longer red.

Most of the lasers that are proposed to "remove" scars are really aimed at getting rid of the redness. The laser is tuned at the red pigment, and removing it makes them appear more mature. The problem is that this redness is due to the hypervascularity of healing scars, and the myofibroblasts (muscles are red) that are trying to shrink the scar. So if you are going to use one of these lasers, you are paying money for something that would happen by itself in a few months, and you are short changing yourself by not letting the scar shrink!

There are some resurfacing lasers that can be used on mature raised scars to camouflage and contour them into the surrounding skin, but this is not what people are normally talking about when they ask for "laser scar removal". Be sure it is worth spending money on before you sign up.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Not impressed with the use of lasers for scar improvement

+2

There is no way to 'remove' a breast lift scar or any scar for that matter. There are many techniques that can lessen or camouflage the appearance of a scar. Most scars will mature over time and improve. The trick of plastic surgery is to place the incisions in locations that are know to heal well. In general I would wait at least 6 months and sometimes up to one year until you consider any invasive form of scar revision including laser. I have never been impressed with the use of lasers for improvement of a scar. Better techniques included surgical scar revision and some times the injection of a steroid into the scar. If your scar is relatively new, less than 3 months then vigorous massage is indicated. I generally keep my incisions taped for the first 3 - 4 weeks this has been shown to decrease the degree of tension on the incision and lessen the degree of scarring.

Laser scar removal after breast lift?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Do not laser the scars on your breast after a breast lift.

+1

There is no indication to laser a remodelling scar.  Almost always, breast scars become very inconspicuous after a lift given enough time.  This might actually be several years.   In the mean time, do not laser the scars.

LASERS and Scars

+1

Scars are permanent....however, I feel that lasers and aggressive scar management after surgery can help minimize their appearance after surgery. Hydroquinone, pulse dye, fractionated CO2, broad band/intense pulse light lasers are all excellent modalities for helping scars vanish.

Seek the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon who I am sure has a protocol for post-operative scar treatments....I usually wait at least 1 year post-op.

Dr.C 

John Philip Connors III, MD

Laser scar treatment after breast lift

+1

There are several lasers available to improve the appearance of scars, but none of them will erase the scar. Normal scar healing occurs over 1 year or more, and it is difficult to predict the final appearance of your scar immediately after surgery. If your scars are unsightly, and depending on the specifics of the laser, it may be safe to use as early as several weeks out from your surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD