Can You Use Laser Safely on Nonbulging Veins on the Hands?

Hand veins, sclerotherapy, endovenous laser

Although a laser could be used on nonbulging hand veins, I would recommend foam sclerotherapy with polidocanol which is easy to do, can be redone and carries minimum associated risk.  For large bulging hand veins, endovenous laser treatment works very well.  Answers to this question will most likely vary depending on the type of physician answering it and his/her experience.

Naples General Surgeon

Hand Veins

Size of the problem hand veins are of utmost importance.  Small, 2-3 mm veins can easily be treated with foam sclerotherapy injections.  Not so sure about being "painless".   Any veins larger  than 3 mm will require endovenous laser therapy.  EVA--Endovenous laser therapy is easily completed as an outpatient with local medication.  The skin is injected with numbing medication and a small IV plastic needle is placed directly into each vein to be laser treated.  A very thin laser fiber is placed through the IV plastic need and easily treaded inside the vein to the end point at the wrist.  The vein to be treated is then surrounded with an anesthetic solution.  The laser is then completed to seal the vein closed.  Compression wraps are necessary.  Limited down time.  Most patients are happy with a combination of hand fillers [fat, Radiesse, Juvederm] along with sclerotherapy and endovenous laser. We have not had good sucess with topic lasers for hand veins.

Cosmetic review is a MUST to make a decision which would be the best approach for your problem area.

James E. White, MD
Chattanooga General Surgeon

Laser vein therapy for hand veins - Buffalo Niagara, NY

Thank you for your question. A picture would have been great here.

There are many treatments for hand veins and you can watch my video clip on the link below.

I also prefer sclerotherapy if the veins are not 'bulging' as it is an easy procedure and has high likelihood of success. 

There are endovenous laser options which are expensive, costing upwards of 2000 a session. The fibers are disposable and laser technology (laser generators) are very expensive. 

We perform sclerotherapy, laser ablation, microphlebectomy in our offices for hand veins. 

Treating Nonbulging Hand Veins

Thank you for your question. I avoid lasering veins on the hands and prefer to use fillers to plump the hands instead.  Eliminating veins on the hands may cause some swelling in some people so fillers is preferable.  Laser treatment leaves a discoloration for weeks so this is not cosmetically acceptable on the hands for many people. Be sure to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery for the best and safest results. I hope this helps.

?lasers for the treatment of hand veins

Most dermatologists treating veins on the back of the hands would probably chose a method called "foam sclerotherapy" with a product called ethoxysclerol (Asclera (R))  It is injected in to  the veins, causing them to collapse and it is painless.  You may need to wear some compression bandages for a day or so, but otherwise it is quite easy and well tolerated.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon