Laser Resurfacing - Still Have Lines Around Chin. Normal?

I had laser resurfacing 10 days ago and there are still a lot of lines around my chin. Is this normal? Will the skin eventually smooth out around my chin and match the rest of my face? As far as I can tell the surgery had NO effect what so ever on my chin, except that its red. Any advice is appreciated. The rest of my face looks great but doesn't match my chin area. Am I being impatient expecting my chin to look great as the rest of my face at the same time? Disappointed.

Face Lines Still There 10 Days after Laser Resurfacing

+4

Thank you for your important question.

It is very normal for facial lines and wrinkles to re appear 10 days to two weeks after Laser Resurfacing of the face.

The initial improvement after Laser Resurfacing is due to swelling from the procedure and when the swelling goes down the wrinkles or lines re appear.

Laser Resurfacing improves the skin and removes lines and wrinkles by stimulating new collagen production in the skin which plumps the wrinkles and tightens the skin.

This process does not even begin until 6 weeks after the procedure and continues for a full year.

Wait 6 months to evaluate your result.

Chin resurfacing

+1

Treatment of lines or wrinkles in the perioral area (around the mouth) and chin can be quite successful, but also quite the process.  Setting realistic expectations and having patience is key.  I definitely encourage using pre- and post-treatment photos as a means to assess progress.  I do not know what type of laser resurfacing you had done, either ablative (i.e. fractional CO2) or non-ablative resurfacing.  I tend to have the best results in the perioral area with fractional CO2.  In my experience, three treatments are needed to really go after the deep lines in this area.  Ten days is still too soon to evaluate the true success of your treatment.  Good luck!

Lesley Clark-Loeser, MD
Hollywood Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing- lines around chin

+1

It is hard to make reasonable guesses about the outcome of your procedure without really knowing if the lines on your chin are superficial or deep. Also there is no real guarantee that this procedure will complete eliminate the lines on your chin.

It will take some time for the tissue on your skin to restructure itself. If you had CO2 laser resurfacing, your skin may still be in the process of tightening itself. CO2 lasers basically vaporize columns of tissue to shrink the surface area of the skin. Other lasers may use fairly long wavelengths to heat the dermal layer under your skin which promotes the synthesis of new collagen. The process of creating new collagen will take some time.

Wait for a few months. And if you are not happy with the chin area still, then look into the option of dermal fillers (e.g. Juvederm, Restylane or Radiesse)

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing chin

+1

What you should expect will in part depend on what kind of laser you used so that information would be helpful. For example: If you had fractional CO2 laser done you should expect to see tightening over the next few months

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Lines after laser

+1

Laser resurfacing on the face and in your case around your chin wil not erase all lines. It will soften some, remove others, and do nothing on others.