Laser Resurfacing Effective for Wrinkles and Dark Circles Around Eyes?

I am a 45 year old male and concidering doing laser resurfacing on my skin, to minimize the appearance of wrinkles, especially around my eyes. As I have dark circles as well, will that make them more visible? I am from Southern Europe, (Meditteranean) and my skin is "medium type/color". Also, what would be, the best laser for my case, as there are different types? Thank you.

Wrinkles yes, circles, maybe

+1

Co2 resurfacing will definitely help with the wrinkles around the eyes and will help tighten the eyelid skin.  results are phenomenal.  

Dark circles can be difficult.  They are caused by many different factors, lack of sleep, allergies, genetic pigmentation and/or prominent blood vessels around the eyes.  Depending upon the underlying cause vascular lasers ( pulsed dye, YAG or diode lasers) can be helpful, sometimes a filler like a restylane or juvederm adds further improvement if done properly. Genetics are the biggest challenge. See your qualified physician for a consultation.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing and wrinkles

+1

Wrinkles on the face can be treated with lasers and some skin care products. Botox or dysport are great for Crow's feet and forehead lines. Dark circles around the eyes are very difficult to treat. Sometimes skin bleaching creams can help.

Laser resurfacing for wrinkles and dark circles under the eyelids

+1

Laser resurfacing can help fine lines under the eyelids, but the wrinkles at the sides of the eyes, the Crow's feet, are best treated by combining Botox or Dysport with laser resurfacing if the latter is still needed once the Botulinum toxin is injected. The lower eyelid resurfacing may help the dark circles but as you have Mediterranean skin, you are susceptible to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation which may result in dark circles after the laser healing. There usually is slight redness to the skin after resurfacing and in your lower eyelid skin this might appear as a darkness. Sometimes the healthier epidermis and dermis created by the laser energy helps minimize the see-through appearance of darkness created by the blood flow of the underlying muscle (this is only a theory and not proven). Other people have darkening of the skin from pigment, the melanocytes, and this is an inherited trait in some. The laser may help this but I have seen cases in which the pigment did not respond to resurfacing. There is a limit to what kind of lightening creams can be prescribed for the very thin eyelid skin, so your doctor may recommend a conservative regimen after the procedure with laser to minimize a post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Fraxel Dual and Repair lasers may be used for this. The older carbon dioxide laser is still used by some doctors also, and the erbium yag laser.

Improving dark circles under eyes with laser and blepharoplasty

+1

If you have dark circles under the eyes, typically there are multiple causes involved. I have found that the best treatment for treating dark circles is to remove the fat bags from behind the lower lids without a scar and simultaneously laser the surrounding skin treating the wrinkles and the darkness in the skin itself. The rationale for this treatment is two fold. Most people with darkness under their eyes have hyperpigmentation or darkening of the skin that is best treated with the CO2 laser since it results in some lightening of the lower eyelid skin. In addition, most patients have dark circles or bags from veins that imbue a dark color to the lower eyelid region. By removing the fat bags, the veins are removed with them and the dark coloration is improved. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing for lower lid wrinkles

+1

There are a few devices that will improve lower eyelid wrinkles including erbium, ysgg and carbon dioxide lasers used in the full field and fractional modes as well as some of the non-ablative fractional devices. the key is to find an experienced practicioner - especially with your darker skin type.

my preference is the sciton trl - tuneable resurfacing laser used in full field or fractional mode depending upon pathology and recovery time. dark circles may be lightened as well but may be caused by other issues such as abnormal vasculature which may need to be addressed as well.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing options

+1

For wrinkles I recommend a fractionated CO2 laser. There are several options available, such as the Fraxel Repair, and the CO2 wavelength is more effective than the nonablative alternatives.

There is vaporization of tissue which can also result in tightening of the skin. Dark circles under the eyes are more problematic and difficult to improve. However, any procedure which promotes the formation of new collagen and thickens the skin will have some positive effects on these problematic dark circles.