Can I Get Laser Resurfacing Done During the Summer?

i struggled with acne for the past 5 years. now i am on minocycline and get the couple cysts around the jawline a week prior to my period. im dying to do laser resurfacing like co2. i understand being out of the sun, which im willing to take. but do you recommend it being ok to do during the hot season

Laser Skin Resurfacing is Performed in Florida and California All Year Long

+2

Laser Skin Resurfacing can be performed anytime of the year.  You may choose colder cloudier months if you live in states with "4 seasons" but we perform skin resurfacing all year round in Michigan.

You definitely need a complete examination and consultation as CO2 laser resurfacing may not be the best treatment for you.  If your acne is active a treatment like IPL may be of greater benefit.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser over the summer

+2

If you have acne issues I use different lasers to help control the acne and at the same time tighten the pores in the skin.These can be donein the summer but I always recommend a good sunblock anyway.

Laser skin resurfacing in the summer time

+1

This is a question with many variables.  I regularly perform laser skin resurfacing in the summer time, but have more specific recommendations to avoid direct and indirect sun exposure after the procedure. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Laser treatment for acne scars can be performed in the summer

+1

Laser treatment is performed in the parts of the country that are hot almost year-round. Sun avoidance and the use of air conditioning helps make the convalescent period more comfortable. You certainly don't want to be in the high heat, especially if very humid, for the first few days after a CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser treatment, even if fractional, as you will have some creams or ointments recommended for your use by your doctor and it is an open wound initially. When you heal after the laser, you have to be extremely diligent to use a good sunscreen for at least a year after to minimize pigmentation changes.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser Resurfacing During the Summer

+1

Thank you for your question. If you are still having acne outbreaks, this is a concern for CO2 resurfacing as we don't want any infectious risk elevated and we need to control the acne if are to improve and prevent scarring. You may need to have a hormonal evaluation and hormonal therapy or even isotretinoin in order to maintain your acne first. See a Board Certified Dermatologist for appropriate care first prior to getting your laser treatments,. Otherwise it will be money wasted.  I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Laser skin resurfacing can be performed all year

+1

Laser resurfacing with the use of the CO2 laser is not used quite as frequently as it used to be with new technology available such as fraxel and DOT therapy. They are a great way to dramatically improve skin on the face including scars and wrinkles. The laser is sensitive enough to be used around areas like the mouth and eyes. These laser technologies can be performed year round, but it’s important to avoid sun exposure for several weeks before treatment and several weeks after treatment, including indirect sunlight or you will increase your risk of hyperpigmentation.  If you are able to avoid the sun after treatment it may be possible to be treated during the summer. I would recommend calling a board-certified dermatologist with experience performing this procedure to set-up a consultation to discuss your concerns and viable treatment options.

D. Scott Karempelis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

It IS OK to have laser resurfacing in the summer months but does require that you be vigilant about sun protection

+1

It IS OK to have laser resurfacing in the summer months but does require that you be vigilant about sun protection. This includes wearing a wide brimmed hat and always wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen during the day. Your skin must be kept well moisturized during the early healing period too but this applies regardless of which time of year you choose for the procedure.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing Done During the Summer

+1

Laser resurfacing is possible to perform all year round even in sunny South Florida. Your surgeon will lay out post treatment including skin care that will be suitable for you that you should follow closely.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laser Resuracing During Summer Months

+1

My practice is located in Florida- it is practically summer here year round!  As long as you protect your skin from sun exposure you can have laser skin resurfacing done any time of year.  Using a sunscreen with a physical block every single day- even on rainy days, wearing a hat as much as possible, avoiding sun bathing, and avoiding direct sun exposure during the peak times of day (between 12-4) will ensure that you are protecting your skin properly and enhance your results from laser skin resurfacing.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing can be done in the summer. Sun protection is a necessity.

+1

The skin is photosensitized by laser resurfacing but can performed in the summer.  Patients need to be vigilant about avoiding UV from the sun.