Laser Resurfacing with a Pacemaker?

I have a pacemaker and wonder if I can still have laser resurfacing such as Fraxel. I'll look forward to your answers.

Clear two issues before Laser Resurfacing on someone with pacemaker

+1

If ANY electrical equipment is being used to treat anyone with a pacemaker, than there are 2 issues. First, a full clearance by the cardiologist is a REQUIREMENT. Second, this might be better done as an outpatient at a local hospital. Good luck!

Laser resurfacing should not require any changes to your pacemaker

+1

As long as you do not require general anesthesia for your treatment, there should not be any added risks of undergoing a Fraxel treatment. There is no electromagnetic energy generated from this laser so it should not affect your pacemaker. However, if anesthetics are used, then you would be best served consulting with your cardiologist prior to your treatment. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing and a pacemaker

+1

My first suggestion is that you check with your cardiologist to insure the safety of any procedure performed with your pacemaker. Having said that. laser resurfacing, including Fraxel, uses external energy to treat the skin and not deeper tissue and should not pose any problems to you because of your pacemaker. Unlike procedures where electrical energy is used on your body and a complete circuit of your body needs to be created, the energy of the laser is locally effective only. Hope this is helpful

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon