Does Laser Resurfacing Cause Eyelid Creases?

I am in my 30s. Had CO2 laser resurfacing done on my face and noticed creases under my eyes that I didn’t have before. I had a follow-up with my doctor and he said its normal because of swelling and will go away within 6 months as collagen builds, but they don't look swollen to me. Does this sound accurate or is the doctor trying to cover up a surgery gone bad? I trust him but want a 2nd opinion for reassurance. The pic is 7 days post-surgery.

+1

No, laser resurfacing does not cause eyelid creases.  I certainly do not think that your doctor is trying to coverup a surgery gone "bad.".  Give yourself a few more months and then reassess the situation.  When healing, patience is necessary before evaluating the results.  Good luck!

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing of eyelids

+1

Full benefit of laser resurfacing for eyelids can take few months to materialize. A week after procedure is too early to tell as there are still residual swelling. Tightening of skin should be evident fairly soon; collagen remodeling can take a while to kick in fully.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Are these wrinkles to my lower lids caused by the laser treatment?

+1

The results of laser resurfacing can take up to 6 months to manifest themselves.  As such, being only a week after your treatment you are far away from seeing the final results.

I would speak with the doctor who performed your laser treatment and express your concerns. 

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal lower eyelid crease after CO2 laser

+1

It may be that you are experiencing what is called a lower eyelid adhesion. These are not uncommon after lower eyelid resurfacing.

I usually try to "break" them in the first or second week after treatment by pulling the skin apart with two cotton tipper applicators going in opposite directions. It leaves a small raw area to heal over in a day or two.

If left untreated it may lead to what you may be seeing. Not sure from the photo. Even if untreated it should flatten out with time.

Keep us informed at to your progress in the future.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing is used to treat eyelid wrinkles

+1

Laser resurfacing is used to treat eyelid wrinkles. Skin will retain water after treatment and as healing progresses the skin will contract.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Microscopic swelling exists for weeks after laser resurfacing

+1

it is very common to have microscopic evidence of fluid retention during the inflammatory healing phase of wound healing. At this time, the skin can look crepy and fine and somewhat discolored until it heals. Good moisturizers and sunscreen are important.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Can laser resurfacing cause creased under eyes.

+1
Laser resurfacing tightens the skin. From your photos it looks like the skin immediately under the eyelid was resurfaced but the eyelid itself was not, so there is a difference in the texture between the two. Because the eyelid skin is looser, the interface looks creased. Eyelid skin is extremely difficult to resurface without internal eyeshields, because part of the lid is covered to protect the eye. However with internal eyeshields the entire eyelid area can be resurfaced.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon