Laser Removal of a Flat and Black Beauty Mark Can Leave a Scar? If So, How Can It Be Removed?

I have a flat, black and small beauty mark. It's in the right bottom side of my nose (just like Marilyn Monroe.) I don't like how it looks and i'm looking forward on removing it. I've read that the most efficient way of removing it is by laser treatment. But this beauty mark it's genetic because my dad had it, but he had it removed 20 yrs ago. Leaving a scar. And I just want to know if now laser removal may leave a scar on me too.

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.  An option may be to completely surgically excise the mole, however you will be trading it in for a scar.  

Laser removal of a mole

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon