Laser Removal For Cystic Acne Scars On Back And Chest?

I have numerous raised scars on my chest and back from deep cystic acne. I was considering a tattoo to cover them up, but am curious about the advancement of lasers treatment or other procedures in the Seattle area.

Raised scars on the back after acne breakouts

+1

Excision may be the best thing for you. Pictures would be helpful. co2 Lasers could bring those down and then you can allow the skin to heal over but a scar might still be present in different degrees.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Raised Acne Scars

+1

The raised scars may represent hypertrophic scars or keloids and the best treatment is likely not laser but intralesional injections of Kenalog (a type of cortisone).  5-fluorouracil can also be used to inject hypertrophic scars and keloids.  Typically raised, hard acne scars are relatively easy to flatten and soften with injections.   

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't do Tattoos, it may make it worse. Treat the scars!

+1

If the scars are raised, you may have hypertrophic scars or keloid scars.  If so, fractional ablative or nonablative laser treatments combined with cortisone injections will often work well.  For severe raised, lumpy scars, multiple treatments may be necessary. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon