Laser Vs Regular Liposuction for Love Handles?

Hi, I'm 27 years old, very active (5'5" and 125 lbs), but want to have Liposuction on my love handles and lower abdomen. I work as a bartender in a nightclub, so I am trying to decide between Laser Liposuction or the regular kind, for the speediest recovery and best results. Thanks!

There is no scientific evidence for laser liposuction.

+1

Hi.

Someone like you should do great with time tested tumescent liposuction. Laser is a source of heat that can increase complications, with no evidence of improved results.

Love handles and lipo

+1

I have a vast experience in all forms of body sculpting, including surgical and liposculpture (traditional, tumescent, laser assisted, etc). There is a definite proven benefit for SmartLipo, ProLipo, Cool Lipo, etc. THEY WORK! I mainly use SmartLipo and the procedure for the love handles is done under local anesthesia, with tumescent anesthesia and mild oral sedation in the office. I feel that there is less trauma, less bleeding, less pain, and a faster recovery WHEN used for the proper indications - i.e. a limited area of lipodystrophy (fatty accumulation). It is not meant for larger volume liposuction/liposculpture.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Laser vs. conventional liposuction

+1

Laser assisted liposuction may be of benefit when the skin over the area of treatment is loose. The laser beam is converted into heat and creates thermal damage to the fat and connective tissue (cooks it). I use the laser in selected cases and find that it might benefit. It is not, however, a miracle piece of equipment.

You sound young and fit, so conventional liposuction will probably give as good a result as laser assisted or ultrasonic liposuction. Nevertheless, I have patients like you who are convinced that the laser is best and insist that it be their treatment. It's fine with me, but it costs a bit more without proven benefit.

The surgeon is the most important factor for Liposuction

+1

Laser liposuction still requires the use of standard liposuction after the laser is used to evacuate the fat. Even proponents of the procedure do not claim that it produces better results. If there is any real advantage, it is that it may be possible to perform small amounts of liposuction under local anesthesia only. If the laser allows the operator to perform the procedure with less trauma, it follows that you may have an easier recovery. None of this has been demonstrated scientifically.

Many trendy procedures come and go but the most important factor is always the surgeon's skill, so choose a board certified plastic surgeon and trust him or her to select the technique that's right for you.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon