What is the Best Laser for Older Stretch Marks?

I have the white and some red stretch marks due to weight gain but only on thigh and hip areas. I wanted to know which laser would minimize or eliminate stretch marks. Thanks.

Using lasers to treat stretch marks

+1

In my practice, I obtain great results with pulsed dye laser and selective fractional co2 laser skin resurfacing for stretch marks.

Stretch marks and laser

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. Any laser that claims to tighten skin has not addressed the basic physiologic problem which is a dermis that is overstretched. The laser will however help the coloration but the stretch marks themselves will persist. You have to ask yourself if the goal is stretch mark removal or if its the discoloration that bothers you. Visit with a plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Old stretch marks appear to respond best to fractional laser therapy.

+1

Old stretch marks appear to respond best to fractional laser therapy. The treatment requires repeat sessions at 2-4 weeks to obtain optimal results.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist