Does Laser Mole Removal Work?

I have a bunch of moles on my back that I would Like to have removed. A couple of them are raised and a bunch of them are flat. I spend a lot of time out side in the sun without a shirt on. My goal is to have them removed with little to no scaring and for the spot to have the same skin tone as the rest of my skin.

Lasers for Mole Removal

+2

I feel that lasers are a bad method of mole removal for two reasons.

1. The scars that remains after laser treatment are at least as noticeable as those which results from shave removals. Sometimes they are worse.

2. Laser removal will destroy the mole and there will be no tissue left to have microscopically examined to make certain it was benign.  This would delay a second surgical procedure that would be necessary for a precancerous or cancerous mole.

It is also unrealistic to expect to have moles on your back removed with little to no scarring.  There is usually some residual hypopigmentation (lighter color) and occasionally thicker scars can result.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser mole removal in Los Angeles

+1

Sometimes laser mole removal will work. We recommend a visit to determine the type of mole and at that time a discussion of treatment options is indicated. There are benign and malignant moles, both of which differ in treatment. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Laser Mole Removal

+1

Yes, it works but its not the method I would advice you to use. The laser ultimately
destroys the mole, that in turn makes it impossible to tell if the mole was
pre-cancerous or possible malignant.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Moles are not created equal

+1

No, lasers are not an effective or wise way to remove moles.  I find the word mole used by many patients to describe true moles, skin tags, seborrheic keratoses, etc.  While lasers are a means to remove some of these benign lesions, the issue is determining which lesions are benign and which ones may be more problematic.  You would never want to remove a lesion with a laser, and not have a pathological assessment in case it is a growth that has some malignant potential or displays worrisome signs.  In those cases, it is necessary to remove the entire lesion and have it evaluated to ensure a proper diagnosis and that proper removal has occurred.  Dermatologists spend years studying moles, melanoma and other growths to develop the expertise to tell the difference.  Don't sacrifice your overall health for a cosmetic concern.  Learn about the dangers of the sun and tanning, perform periodic exams to monitor for changing moles and establish a relationship with a dermatologist who can effectively evaluate your moles and determine which ones are in need of further assessment.

Corey L. Hartman, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision and shaving for back 'moles' results in less scar than a laser

+1

Laser mole removal works by essentially burning off the mole. This will result in a visible white scar as its replacement...effective but not scarless. The least scarring method for a true mole removal would be excision. This will result in the least amount of scar but there will be a scar especially on the thick skin of one's back. If the lesion is not a mole but a more flat problem like actinic keratosis, shaving with a scalpel can leave very minimal scarring. (much less than that of a laser)  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Mole on the back may be "shaved" for best cosmetic result

+1

Pigmented moles should never be treated in a way that does not allow biopsy, as there is always a chance that there could be some abnormal cells in them that need more than cosmetic consideration, ( they may have malignant or pre-malignant characteristics). Because "moles", medically known as nevi, originate deeply in the skin, there will always be some knid of "scar". The skin on the back is quite thick, and "full thickness" excisions often heal in an unsightly manner, (they tend to "spread" and not stay in a "fine" line). For lesions that are presumed benign, shave excision is the best cosmetically, but there will be physicians whom are uncomfortable with this removal method becuase of the small possibilty that, if  the cells in it turn ot to be a malignent lesion, the shave biopsy does not allow as definitive determination of how likely  the lesion is to have "spread", and therefore exactly what treatment regimen is appropriate. 

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Shave removal is best for benign moles

+1

You first need to see your dermatologist to determine if any of your moles have the potential to be worrisome. If they are all considered benign and cosmetic, then shave removal would probably be your best bet. Remember that there will always be a small chance or recurrence. This also generally gives the best cosmetic appearance after removal.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Laser is not a good idea for mole removal

+1

Lasers can be used for mole removal in two ways:  removing the pigment, which still leaves the mole intact and does not reduce the danger of the effect of sun exposure on that mole, and burning the mole off the skin, which would leave an unsightly scar.

In addition, moles partially removed by laser look atypical both clinically and under the microscope, so if a mole needs to be removed later, it would be difficult for a pathologist to tell the difference between a mole that was affected by laser and an abnormal mole.

The question is whether the lesions to which you are referring are moles or freckles or seborrheic keratoses.  Freckles induced by the sun, which just have increased pigment in the epidermis, would do fine with laser treatment.  Seborrheic keratoses are benign skin growths that can be removed in a variety of ways including liquid nitrogen, cauterization and laser.

I recommend that you have an evaluation of these spots by a dermatologist to decide which treatment is best for you.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Start with a Dermatologist for Mole Removal

+1

Unfortunately, you are a prime candidate for skin cancer.  Your first goal should be to determine that none of these are suspicious and the best person to evaluate this is a Board-certified Dermatologist. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers for mole removal

+1

A laser can remove pigment (color) from a skin lesion, but it won't make a raised lesion flat, and it won't allow for any type of diagnosis.  You mention that you spend a great deal of time in the sun without a shirt, which puts you at greater risk of developing a skin cancer on your back--you should have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon evaluate and follow you, and remove only the lesions which are questionable (and, yes, you will have scars from the excisions).

Carmen Kavali, MD