Had Laser Liposuction Done Twice and Still See No Results!

Female 32 130lbs - had laser liposuction done initially on lower abs and flanks waited 6mos and NO results I mean 0 went in again at 6mos & 2days and had it done on upper abs and right below the front bra area as well as love handles. I'm at 1+mo and still no results. See pictures. I don't understand, shouldn't I look relatively flat given that I am having this done a 2nd time and I was not heavy to begin with?! Should I do it again?

Laser liposuction

+4

One big assumtpion is that your weight is stable.  Assuming that it is, I'd tell you the following: one of the definitions of crazy is repeating the same thing expecting a different result.  I think I'd find (another?) a board certified plastic surgeon near you.

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Laser Lipo Twice With No Result. Should I Go For It A Third Time?

+3

Hi brainybrunette,

It's very hard to make an absolute assessment without knowing what you looked like before, specifics of your body in general (height, weight, maximum weight, etc) and precisely what procedure was done.  Laser liposuction is a modality - it's one way to perform liposuction.  I've seen some excellent results with laser lipo and lots of excellent results using other forms of liposuction.

Your final result of lipo - any form of lipo - depends on what you looked like before, the procedure that is done, and how your skin reacts (contracts, adapts, etc) to its new contour.  Without knowing all of that, it's hard to assess what was done and to recommend what could reasonably be done at this point.  You may benefit from additional lipo using another method, a skin removal or tightening, or a combination.  Whether or not you're willing to undergo what might be recommended is a separate issue, but that's where you would need to start.

You should, of course, consult with your own plastic surgeon but you may want to consider some other opinions at this point.  Two procedures with no result - doesn't sound like something you'd want to do a third time...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction Expections

+3

Laser Liposuction is somewhat technician-dependent.  This means that the outcome depends, in part, upon who performs it.  Additionally, liposuction is a body contouring procedure.  I agree that you are not too heavy to have it.  I usually combine laser liposuction with traditional liposuction.  When these two are combined, it generally allows greater fat resection.  I would advise against performing this procedure again.  I would give it more time.  Swelling from this type of procedure can last for six months.  If you wait for 6 months to a year and are still disappointed, you will not likely want to invest more time, money, or discomfort into this procedure.

Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Liposuction surgeon is what matters.

+3

Hi.

There are no advantages to laser liposuction and very few board certified plastic surgeons use it.

I don't know if in fact you have a poor result, but if you do, get other consultations.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Laser lipo not worth the hype

+2

It is difficult to evaluate your results with a single photograph, but if you are not happy I suggest that you get another opinion and make sure that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Most of the surgeons who advertise laser liposuction are not board certified in plastic surgery. 'Laser' has been a buzz-word in plastic surgery for several decades. There are a lot of good things that lasers do, liposuction is not really one of them. There is no good evidence that laser lipo really causes skin shrinkage. Most liposuction procedures are best done with standard tumescent liposuction.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and volume reduction

+2
If you ask your surgeon they should be able to tell you how many ccs of fat were removed. If it is substantial then you may not be seeing enough improvement because other variables may coexist such as needing a tummy tuck.

Ronald Shelton, MD

No laser lipo results

+1

Thank you for asking about your laser liposuction results.

1. If the liposuction was under local anesthesia, the amount removed can be limited.
  2. It is hard to judge a liposuction result from an after photo only.
  3. Laser liposuction should give similar results to other liposuctions.
  4. What about a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction and modest resutls

+1

It is difficult to assess your results from this picture. IT may be that you do not ahve sufficient localized fat to accomplish a significnat result.

Laser lipo and body results

+1

The question is difficult to answer without more details like how much volume was removed, which specific areas were treated, to name a few. If the abdomen was treated and you do not feel it is flat enough, perhaps you should conside other modalities of treatment?

Maybe you need a tummy tuck

+1

It looks like you have stretch marks and muscle laxity, neither of which will be treated by a laser lipo procedure.  Maybe you have not been treated by a real plastic surgeon yet and maybe you should go to one for a second opinion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS