Laser Liposuction for Male Double Chin

I'm a 46-year-old male. I had laser liposuction on my lower abs and flanks. I am now considering it on my chin/neck. My physician is concerned that I may not be happy because results in this area are not as dramatic as for the abs and flanks. I'm not overweight, but I have a double chin that I would like treated. Is this true that laser liposuction does not do as well on this area?

Treating the neck

+2

If you have extra skin and loss of angularity of the neck or lax muscles in the neck, you will not be impressed with laser lipo in the neck. You might need a neck lift or facelift possibly for the best results. Sounds like you have an honest doctor telling you what realistic expectations would be!

Laser Lipo (ex. Smartlipo) can sometimes be excellent for double chin

+1

Liposuction can remove the excess fat from the neck and chin. The laser can add a significant skin tightening component as well.

In men more than women the Adam*s apple (larynx) defines much of the shape of the neck, and limits what can be accomplished.

Generally speaking, if you can touch and move the offending tissue, it may be skin and fatty deposits. Both will respond well to laser lipo. Your surgeon will be able to differentiate this from the underlying voice box structure.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for the neck

+1

Usually people want reduction of their neck below the chin and not the chin itself. Some people who want reduction of their chin's volume have no accumulation of fat and liposuction wouldn't help.. They may have a development of dermal thickening instead. Aggessive liposuction of the underneck area may improve the condition substantially but the result often is less in males than females because of the thicker bearded skin in the men.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser lipo on the neck area

+1

Just because you had a good result in one area does not mean it is applicable to another area. The results of laser lipo on the neck are not only a function of the fat but also depend on a good facial skeletal structure as well as excellent muscle and skin tone.  

Laser liposuction works for double chin and neck

+1

Laser liposuction works well on the sub-mental (double chin) area as long as there is not too much loose skin. The newer lasers will also give some skin tightening to this area. I would get a second opinion as to whether you are a candidate for this procedure.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction

+1

Laser liposuction, like many technologically-based procedures, is only a technique for removing fat. The most important determinant for success is not the technology or procedures that is applied but the anatomy to which the procedures is applied too. That is, the procedure should fit the anatomy and the desired end result. Some anatomical situations are ideal for liposuction and some will not be, regardless of using the laser or not.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Liposuction of the chin.

+1

It sounds like your doctor feels that excess skin or muscle may be involved and you will only have modest gain without a facelift to remove the excess skin. This is common in your age group and your doctor is honest in telling you this.

Laser Liposuction on chin area

+1

Laser Liposuction or SMART LIPO works GREAT in the neck or chin area. I use 12 watt setting with clean out  via traditional liposuction.