Laser Liposuction Before Having Children?

I'm looking into getting laser liposuction, but I'm worried about getting this procedure before I have children. If I get pregnant after getting this done, will it all be in vain? Will I re-gain all the weight I lost?

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not the answer for weight loss. It is a contouring tool.  If you get pregnant it may change the overall contour and can affect the elasticity of the tissues.  Once you lose the pregnancy weight, there may be some laxity. It is very hard to predict.

Laser Liposuction

+1

I remain quite skeptical as to what can be achieved with laser-assisted liposuction. We do a great deal of laser treatments, a great deal of liposuction, and a great deal of abdomioplasties (tummy-tucks). Your best bet is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and pregnancy

+1

Regardless of the type of liposuction you undergo, traditional, ultrasound-assisted, power-assisted, laser, etc., you will gain weight with pregnancy. Most women not only gain extra fat of the abdominal wall, but also develop laxity (looseness) of the abdominal wall muscles, resulting in an abdominal bulge.

On the other hand, having liposuction will not preclude or hinder your ability to get pregnant. Thus, many women still choose to have liposuction prior to having children, knowing that they may need additional body contouring procedures in the future, once they're done having children.

The decision is highly dependent on your analysis of the costs versus the relative benefits of surgery. Best of luck with your decision!

Sam Jejurikar, MD