What to Know About my Laser Lipolysis Provider?

I'm scheduled to have Laser lipolysis done on my stomach in two weeks. Everyone says do your research on the place doing it. What exactly am I suppose to research? What are the important things should I look for or check? Please check.

Researching Surgeon for Liposuction Surgery?

+1

You will be best off doing your due diligence carefully  in the selection of plastic surgeon.  would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
 Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate him on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures performed.

Only in person consultation will provide you with the detailed information you should obtain prior to making any decisions about proceeding with surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures performed. Learn about the potential risks/complications associated with the surgical options and ask about “realistic expectations”.

You will likely find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;   I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Laser Liposuction

+1

Be certain your Dr. is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and is experienced in liposuction.  Also interview the Surgeon and you must have a good feel about your relationship and that things are transparent for you and goals clear.  Then move forward.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

How to Make Sure your Plastic Surgeon is not a Dud or worse

+1

Regarding: "What to Know About my Laser Lipolysis Provider?
I'm scheduled to have Laser lipolysis done on my stomach in two weeks. Everyone says do your research on the place doing it. What exactly am I suppose to research? What are the important things should I look for or check? Please check
."

1. Is your doctor certified by a REAL medical board - one of the American Board of Medical Specialties (wwwabmsorg)?

2. Which board is he certified by? (Hint - being certified in Family Practice, ER medicine, ObGyn etc has NOTHING to do with Liposuction or using lasers). Check the IS YOUR SURGEON CERTIFIED at The American Board of Plastic Surgery site wwwabplsurgorg. Be prepared for a rude surprise.

3. Does your doctor have PLASTIC SURGERY PRIVILEGES at a local hospital with a good reputation? Regardless if your doctor operates in his facility, for your safety, he MUST be allowed by at least one hospital to practice liposuction within its walls. If he is not - it simply means the hospital refuses to take a chance on him screwing up in its facility. Walk away.

4. Is the facility you are having surgery in up to snuff? Ask to see if it is either MEDICARE CERTIFIED OR AAAASF certified. If it is not. Don't have your surgery there.

5. Check you State Medical Board for any complaints against your doctor. Some of them may be utter nonsense but others may be serious.

6. READ THE LINK BELOW. You will fully understand what Board Certification means and how to weed the bad from the good Plastic surgeons.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

What to research before "Laser Liposuction"

+1

If you are at all concerned (and it sounds like you are) then also consider a second opinion from a Board Certified plastic surgeon and ask if you really need "Laser Lipo" as opposed to traditional liposuction. The other recommendations are just as important. Also, ask to see the surgeon's "before and after" pictures

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction and Doctor's certification

+1

There are a lot of information on the Internet regarding physician licensing and certification in liposuction. This can be very confusing to the average person.

Basically, physicians obtain medical license (after medical school) to practice medicine in their state. Medical license is regulated by the state. In the United states, most physician will undergo residency training  to specialize in a particular field of medicine. A surgeon should have undergone a minimal of 5 years of training in surgery. If your liposuction doctor is not specifically trained in surgery, should he/she be doing surgery?

Plastic surgeons undergo additional surgical training in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. There is only one American Board of Plastic Surgery. Cosmetic Surgery is not a recognized specialty of medicine. Cosmetic surgery is part of Plastic surgery. The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) defines which specialties are board certified. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has a list of board certified Plastic Surgeons in your area.

To answer your question about doing your research, your liposuction doctor should be a licensed physician trained specifically in surgery, then certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There is a big difference between a Plastic Surgeon and "cosmetic surgeon". Any licensed physician can claim to be a cosmetic surgeon without any surgical training. A Plastic surgeon has surgical training in both cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Laser lipolysis and credentials

+1

Credentials of your doctor and the facility are paramount. The surgeon should be board certified in an accredited field of aesthetic surgery.  The facility should be AAAA OR JCAHO accredited as well.

Laser Lipolysis and Your Doctor's Credentials

+1

I think that there are several factors to check out with any surgeon you desire to have perform laser lipolysis. First of all, the laser is only an adjunctive tool. Your surgeon should be well versed in all aspects of body contouring to include traditional and tumescent liposuction, laser lipolysis, and surgical body contouring. After an evaluation of your particular problem he or she can then decide which "tool" would best accomplish your goals. It is very important for you to discuss with your surgeon what your goals are so that he can tell you whether he can achieve them or not. If your goals are too high (and it is not unusal for patients to have very high expectations) then he may not be able to get you to that goal. It is up to the surgeon to tell outline each form of treatment, what the potential risks and compications are, what the expected results are, and how he would handle complications if they arise. There are physicians who do only laser lipolysis. There is no control, other than having MD or DO after your name, as to who can buy and use a laser. If all that the physican does is laser lipolysis, then he will "attack" your problem with the laser. If he has more tools in his armamentarium, he may oftfer something that will better achieved you goals. So ask your surgeon what his credentials are (Training and Board Certification), how many of these has he or she performed, does he do body contouring by other techniques other than lasers, does he have hospital privileges for these procedures, can you see pictures of patients who have had the procedure and possibly talk with some of them, what are the pros and cons of each procedure, and finally what would he or she would recommend for your particular problem. Laser lipolysis is great for the right indications. I do get patients who have too much excess skin so that post operatively there will still be skin sagging and some form of skin excision would have been indicated. I have also had patients who wanted larger volume liposuction and the laser alone is not indicated for this. Sorry for the lengthy answer, but you have to do your homework. If not sure, get a second opinion and ask the same questions and compare! Go with the surgeon who gives you the best "gut" feel, answers your questions forthrightly, and has the expertise to do what he says he will.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon