Do you get better results with Laser Lipo than with normal liposuction?

I want to firstly thank everyone that responded to my earlier question! Only one more thing...I see that there is a procedure called "Laser lipo" - do you get better results with it than with normal liposuction when considering chin/neck lipo? Thanks and have an awesome 2011!

Laser Liposuction is a good alternative

+1

Patient Selection is key. For localized results such as the neck, laser liposuction can yield good results (See the before and afters under my profile). Traditional liposuction is generally better for moderate to large areas.

Laser Liposuction

+1

As with all surgeries, the hands the tools are in is the biggest factor in your outcome.  Next, you will be at the mercy of “mother nature” in how you heal, and at the mercy of how well you treat yourself in recover, and the health of your lifestyle.  Back to your question of the laser.  Laser can have some benefit, but I find the Vaser to be more of an impact and the laser to be lesser so, but still important to the overall outcome.  Thus, we use both modalities.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser lipo better for chin/neck?

+1

To date, there is no study that shows laser liposuction provides better results than traditional liposuction for the chin/neck.  Like traditional liposuction, it works, and some surgeons may feel it works better.

The most important factors in getting a great result are the skill of the surgeon and the safety of the technique.  Liposuction without any form of sedation is, by far, the safest technique there is for liposuction.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Lipo for chin/neck

+1

In short I would say yes. I have been very happy with the improvement that my patients and I have been able to obtain with laser-assisted lipo/Slim Lipo as our current system. I believe that specifically for the neck it does offer some advantages.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Is "laser lipo" better?

+1

To answer this question, you must first separate the marketing hype from actual clinical experience and well designed studies. Then, you need to apply the facts to real patients.

Laser liposuction claims to "tighten the skin" and result in less bruising and swelling. However, many of us who have used traditional liposuction, ultrasound liposuction, power assisted liposuction and now laser liposuction, have NOT seen any difference in most cases. The ultrasound and power assisted liposuction works better on revisions, and some difficult areas such as the back. In the 1990s, the ultrasound liposuction manufacturers made the same claims about skin tightening but this was never confirmed by medical studies. One small study showed that there may be some abdominal skin contraction with laser liposuction but the difference was minor.

More likely, the result after liposuction is due to a surgeon’s technique and the patients skin quality. If you are considering neck and chin liposuction and have good to fair skin, then traditional liposuction should be fine. If you chose to consider laser liposuction, be wary of claims that are not supported by scientific evidence. You may also wind up paying more since the laser liposuction machines require a larger investment by the surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon