Laser Lipo. Is It Safe?

I had surgery for diverticulitis/perf. bowel in June 2010. I want to get laser lipo on my upper/lower abs. Is it safe? What is the recovery time? And do I have to take a month's worth of liver cleanser pills the doctor is suggesting before I have the treatments to help flush fat out?

Safety of Laser Liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question. You will need to have your GI surgeon and your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon discuss your condition first, and determine the safest plan for you and your condition. Typically a bowel prep is not needed.  I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction. Is It Safe? Not according to many Lipo Experts!

+1

Laser lipos are going to the wayside because of a lot of problems and complications such as nerve damage, skin puckering, skin holes, infections, discolorations etc... and they are very cheap now a days for those exact reasons. Many docs who specialize in lipos don't use the lasers in liposuction surgery and use the tumescent technique local with the micro canulas to get great results safely. To be fair, if the laser doc does enough of laser lipos, he/she can be good at it but it is not the norm. Don't go cheap with your liposuction. You may regret it. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/lipo.asp

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser lipo safe?

+1

Liposuction done for the right reasons, with the right indications, on the right patient, by the right doctor can be very safe.  You have to be properly examined to make sure you do not have hernias, and have a consultation and exam by a qualified surgeon.  Good luck.

Laser lipo after abdominal surgery. (Liver cleanser pills?????)

+1

Any surgeon suggesting "liver cleanser pills" prior to liposuction is suspect as to training, experience, and ethics, since there is no such thing (medically-appropriate) as so-called "liver cleanser pills."

Is your surgeon an American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeon? I doubt it, since any of us who perform any form of liposuction (laser-assisted, power-assisted, ultrasonic, body jet, etc.) would not be selling snake oil remedies along with reputable surgery. I suggest that you ask just what type of residency training your "surgeon" has received, and if s/he is claiming "board certification," what board, since there are many doctors of various backgrounds who perform cosmetic surgical procedures who are "board-certified" by bogus boards NOT recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, or by boards that have little or nothing to do with plastic surgery and DO NOT require complete training in plastic surgery!

Perhaps your "surgeon" is playing on your very reasonable fears about prior abdominal surgery by selling you worthless pills, and also deflecting appropriate questions about performing laser liposuction in an area of prior surgery, scarring, with the potential for inadvertent damage to deeper structures.

Laser lipo is "safe" in and of itself, but any type of liposuction in a setting of prior abdominal surgery and scarring should be employed only by expert, skilled, and experienced hands (ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, not a Dermatologist who claims local anesthesia laser liposuction is "safer" than "regular" liposuction performed under "nasty general anesthesia") in a setting of expert general anesthesia so there is no movement or pain that could cause accidental perforation of the abdominal wall.

Your question set off so many "red alerts" in my mind I can hardly emphasize enough that it seems as if you are in the wrong hands! Please research your doctor's credentials carefully, and consider what my colleagues and I are suggesting here! Please click on the web reference link below for more information about sho is qualified to do this surgery. Best wishes. Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.realself.com/article/board-certification-critical-choosing-plastic-surgeon

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Laser lipo is safe in the right hands

+1
Laser lipo is safe in the right hands and when used on food candidates. Prior abdominal surgery is a red flag. You may be a candidate but need to be carefully examined by a surgeon to determine your suitability. Also, I've been doing this for twenty years and dont know anyone that prescribes "liver cleanser" pills before lipo.

Web reference: Http://www.dkhoffmanmd.com

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Laser Lipo

+1

Every patient is different and without seeing you or seeing pictures it is difficult to give you accurate estimations on your suitability for surgery or expected recovery.  Laser lipo is a safe and effective procedure when in the right hands.  Make sure you are a seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.  As for the liver pills, this is something that you will need to discuss with your doctor.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com