Would laser lipo be an okay option for me to shed a little weight along with exercise? 5'5", 170 lbs,

Hello, my name is Mina and I'll be getting married in May 2014. I'm 5'5" and weight 170lbs. I was wondering if laser lipo would be a okay option for me to shed a little extra pounds along with exercise. Or if there is something else that would suit be better. Thank you!

Video Reply...

+1
Hi Mina,

great question. we decided to start answering questions by video. I hope you find it informative! 

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction

+1
Diet and exercise are always the best way to lose weight. Liposuction removes and therefore reduces fat, but is not for weight loss. Liposuction maybe an option for your if you have areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Laser lipo

+1
weight loss is different from fat removal by liposuction,after lipo you will have a better form not weight loss

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction can remove fat but not cause weight loss

+1
Thank you for your question.  Laser liposuction certainly can remove excess fat from beneath your skin.

However liposuction is not a method for weight loss.

Understand that fat inside your abdomen wrapped around your intestine which cannot be removed with liposuction is a major factor contributing to your weight.

Ideally you should use diet and exercise to lose as much weight as possible before having liposuction.  If you do you will have a much better result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Laser Lipo

+1
In general, laser lipo (SmartLipo), is a good option to reduce areas of fatty fullness.  You should be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon to see whether this procedure is appropriate for you. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon