Laser Lipo or Mini Tuck for Excessive Abdominal Fat?

I have minimal stretch marks below my belly button which are the least of my worries. I do have a barely visible c-section scar. My abdominal fat is what I hope can be worked on. Would a laser assisted liposuction be best for me or do I need a mini tuck too?

Tummy Tuck with Back / Flank Liposuction is THE Answer

+2

It is obvious that you have abdominal wall laxity and fat deposits of the back and hips. This condition will NOT be fully addressed by Laser Lipo or a Mini TT and you may join the ranks of some of the unhappy women who posted on this site asking how their mini-TT results can now be corrected (loose skin above belly button, minimal removal of stretch marks etc).

I firmly believe that Liposuction of the back and hips combined with a full Tummy Tuck would give you a GREAT result which cannot be matched by other modalities no matter how seductive.

Good Luck.

+1

If you have stretch marks that means that the skin has lost its elasticity. A conservative liposuction might decrease the amount of subcutaneous fat but it might leave you with a little loose skin and also might not give you a flat stomach if there is an appreciable amount of intra-abdominal fat present. The liposuction and mini tummy tuck will not fix the intra-abdominal fat.

Julio Garcia, MD

Laser lipo or mini tummy tuck

+1

My 2 cents is that you don't need a mini tumy tuck or liposuction. You have defects that extend well above the umpilicus, so you need a full tummy tuck to achieve a great result.

On another note, I am using Lipotherme (laser lipo), and am finding it helpful. Like any other liposuction technique, it is a tool. I haven't had enough experience to tell if it shrinks skin anymore than say ultrasound lipo techniques. Even if it does a better job, there will be limitations to the technque.

You need your excess skin, fat, and especially, your fascia tightened to get the result you want, and a mini tt or lipo will just not get it for you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Avoid laser lipo.

+1

Hi.
The experienced board certified plastic surgeons whom I know don't use laser lipo. There is no science behind it.
From your picture, you will benefit with tumescent liposuction of the stomach, and a scar revision of the c section scar to correct the overhang. You don't need a tummy tuck.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lipo or mini-abdominoplasty - only your plastic surgeon knows for sure

+1

Although the photo is helpful, no one can give you good advice without personally seeing you and evaluating the skin, fat layer, and whether there is muscle separation. I do know that laser lipo is touted as being superior to "traditional" liposuction, and is being offered as an alternative to tummy tucks, but I would advise here that you really do your homework and make sure you understand what the laser lipo can and can't do. Given that you have stretch marks, the skin will not respond as well in terms of tightening with the laser, and that is the whole idea if it is to be an alternative to a tummy tuck. Most patients with prior pregnancies have some degree of muscle separation, so since you already have the scar a tummy tuck (mini or regular) seems likely to be your best choice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Laser lipo vs mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

+1

In your case, the best choice depends on what is causing the upper abdominal buldge. If it is fat, a mini and lipo can help. If it is muscle laxity, the only choice is a full tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction for abdomen, hips and midback does great

+1

Tumescent Liposuctions with the micro canulas under local anesthesia does great for tummies, hips and midbacks. There is a nice skin contracture with this type of lipo verses traditional liposuction and I think you will do just fine. Cost is roughly $5000-6000 and so worth it. A tummy tuck with liposuction would give the tightest tummy but with a bigger scar and more expense and down time.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Procedure for abdominal fat depends on the kind of result you seek

+1

If you want very flat abomen with curved waist lines, you will need lipo or tummy tuck. If you want fast recovery, less expensive and less result, then laser lipo can help you. You have bulging of the abdominal muscle due to pregnancy and you will get better result with tummy tuck in long run.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

MiniTuck Versus Liposuction

+1

Since you have been pregnant, you are likely to have some muscle laxity of the abdominal wall.

Liposuction alone will not address this in any way, so your result will be less dramatic than if you have the mini-tuck.

Skin tightening with lipo alone is also very iffy, although some is possible if your skin is not too damaged.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your pictures you would benefit from back and flank liposuction and full abdominoplasty. Mini tummy tuck sounds appealing, but will not give you the same results as a full abdominoplasty. So, you really need to decide if a little more recovery is worth the best results. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD