Laser Lipo on Flanks - How Do I Determine if More Fat Can Be Removed?

I had laser lipo on my flanks and lower abs. A few months later I had my upper abs done. My physician agreed that there was more fat to remove in my flanks so she re-did that area as well. However, I am months out and I still feel that there is a lot more to remove in my flanks. She claims it's skin. She said the same thing after the first procedure and she was incorrect. How do I determine if there still remains substantial fat to be removed? Thanks very much for your help and advise.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Liposuction

+1
Hi,
If the area has been done twice already, and no more fat is able to be removed (I am assuming of course, that you have a competent board certified plastic surgeon), then your surgeon may be correct in saying the rest is skin. There will be a limit to how much fat can be removed from one particular area, and going in a third time to the same area is probably not a good idea. You may want a second opinion to confirm your surgeon's opinion.

Web reference: http://www.dccosmetics.com/procedures/body-contouring/laser-liposuction-dc/

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

You've never had enough liposuction until you've had too much!

+1

My tongue in cheek comment is not meant to make light of a serious surgical procedure but this is a phrase that I have coined that is a play on you can never be rich enough, thin enough.... I would get a second opinion as recommended but be careful what you ask for. If you search hard enough, you will find a surgeon who will likely operate on you. However, excessive liposuction in a twice previously treated area could result in a higher incidence of contour irregularities. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Unhappy results after liposuction

+1

It seems that the laser lipo procedure is not giving you the necessary result.  I think it is important to discuss different methods with your surgeon to treat your problem area.   Loose skin can be treated by full or mini tummy tuck, whereas larger fat deposits may require a more aggressive form of liposuction under general anesthesia.  

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

More fat after liposuction

+1

The thickness of the skin  on the flanks may fool you to think that there is more fat to remove with liposuction when pinching the skin between your fingers. Your surgeon should know by an examination if there is more to do or not. It might be wise to wait as much as six months to see if there is further improvement after the liposuction. Your surgeon knows that there is a limit to how much fat can be removed safely without compromising the circulation and dermis of the skin. The thick skin of the back and flanks may sag making it look like fat folds, but further liposuction would not help in the situation where there is minimal fat.

Redo Liposuction in Atlanta Georgia

+1

Hi, I hope your liposuction was performed by a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. As you may know, any licensed physician has the right to perform liposuction even without any formal training. It sounds like you are starting to doubt the opinion of your surgeon. If this is the case, it is worth getting a second opinion.

Liposuction with or without laser is like car and driver. The car will not drive its self. A well trained plastic surgeon (the driver) can deliver an excellent result with liposuction (the car) because of the his or her training. The opinion of board certified Plastic surgeon is worth the cost. Remember, you get what you pay for. Good luck. Dr O.

Liposuction of flanks

+1

How do you tell if your hips need to be redone? It is based upon an exam palpating the area and feeling how thick it is.  Just because you can pinch it doesn't mean that it may  not just be loose skin.

Re-do liposuction

+1

It sounds like your confidence in your surgeon is a bit shaken.  For peace of mind, a second opinion won't hurt.  It will just cost you a consultation fee.   As has been stated, there is a limit to how much fat can be removed via liposuction, so keep this in mind.  Good luck, Dr. P

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon