Fat Type Reason for Not Aspirating After Laser Lipo?

I had a big tummy and abdomen after my pregnacy, and decided to go for Laser Lipo with aspiration. It seemed such a great option.

After the laser, the doctor is supposed to put in an aspirator and suck out the melted fat. He seemed to be having problems, and finally said that my type of fat was too thick to be aspired. He said that the results would be the same but would take longer.

Can it really be that my type of fat is the reason why aspiration was not done? I suspect that the aspirator was not working. Also, I still paid the price I had been quoted. Should this have been reduced since there was no aspiration?

Fat Should Always be Aspirated or Removed after Laser Liposuction

+2

Thank you for your question. The FDA approval for Laser Liposuction specified that Fat shoudl be aspirated or removed after Laser Liposuction. I am not sure what happened in your case but you should ask your doctor.

It is true that after Laser Treatment of the Fat some will dissolve and be resorbed by your body so hopefully you will notice a result. This process can take several months.

Good luck. I hope you will see the result that you hoped for.

Laser Liposuction

+1

A very difficult question to answer without being there.  Typically fat should be suctioned out.  There is no reason to leave it in there unless you are doing a fat transfer.   Something sounds odd here.  I would talk to the doctor and ask a few more questions.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction and fat aspiration

+1

I’m sorry that you did not have a good experience with this procedure. While it is hard to say what happened in your case, there are a few things to consider:

Laser liposuction does liquefy some of the fat but the liquid is typically removed with an aspiration cannula. If it is not removed, it may drain out through the access incisions. It is unclear what happens to the liquefied fat that remains in the body. So you may still see some results. However, more non-liquefied fat can be removed with the aspiration cannula to give a better result.

It is possible that your fat was firmer than expected but the laser liposuction should be able to liquefy it. Perhaps the machine was not set at a high enough energy level or the laser fiber was damaged. If, as you suspect, the aspirator was not working, it seems reasonable to discuss this with your surgeon and ask for a revision with a working aspirator machine.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS