I Have a Nonactive Throid and I'm Interested in Laser Lipo. Is it safe for me?

I have a nonactive thyroid glad (have been that way since 8yrs old) and i am looking into Laser lipo but it says that people with Thyroid Disease should not have it done. Do i come under that category? If i do why is it that i am not able to have it done?

First Dot All The I's And Cross All The T's Before Surgery

+2

You have a condition called hypothyroidism. Patients with hypothyroidism often require thyroid medication to bring their levels of circulating hormones to a normal level.

You should see your internist prior to any surgical procedure, including liposuction, to have your circulating levels of thyroid hormones measured and appropriate medications prescribed, if necessary. Once your thyroid condition has been appropriately addressed, you should be able to safely undergo the laser lipo procedure you desire.

+1

If the thyroid hormone is being replaced with medication and you are otherwise healthy, liposuction can be performed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs HUNDREDS of liposuction procedures each year.  Look at the surgeon's website before and after photos to determine who will get you to your goals.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Laser liposuction and hypothyroid disease

+1

If you have hypothyroid disease you should should first see a doctor and get started on thyroid hormone replacement.  Once your thyroid hormone levels have been normalized it should be safe to proceed with laser liposuction.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon