Can Laser Help with Capsular Contracture to Help Scar Tissue or Scartissue Under Incision at Nipple?

Help! Looking for alternatives to surgery. Had 3 capsular contractures with breast augmentation. Grade 3 at least this time and getting worse. Can any kind of laser treatment or ultrasound help? What about for the incision around nipples. Scartissue 1/4inch or more thick under nipple (internal). They are hard to move now and one closer to the middle. Use allomax this time. Is this safe to use laser with. Silicone gel implants under the muscle. Please help!

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
If only it was that easy, currently no lasers will help with capsular contracture but ultrasound can help with capsular contracture early on 

Laser therapy is not indicated for capsular contracture.

+1

Laser therapy will not help with capsular contracture as the laser will not penetrate through to the capsule. It may be helpful with surface scars though. As for recurrent capsular contracture, I have had great success using acellular dermal matrices (ie Strattice). The dermal matrix does not encapsulate which prevents a circumferential contracture. Studies with acellular dermal matrix have shown capsular contracture rates of < 1%.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Recurrent Encapsulation with Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you have had with breast augmentation operations. There is no evidence that I'm aware of that laser modalities will be helpful. There is some evidence that the use of acellular dermal matrix is helpful.

Unfortunately, with your history the chances of recurrence of encapsulation is quite significant regardless of the incision used.

I wish I had better advice about this difficult situation you are in.

Recurrent capsular contracture

+1

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.  Unfortunately, I do not believe there is any evidence that laser therapy will alter encapsulation. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

+1

There is no evidence of laser working in CC...But there is promising results that are coming out of using Acellular Dermal products (I prefer Strattice). I have had good results personally and I think these products do offer some hope in patients that have had recurrence each time...So my suggestion would be Strattice or Allomax...yes. Laser, no.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

My breasts are hard again!

+1

Recent evidence strongly suggests an association between breast ductal microflora and capsular contracture.  A preponderance of these organisms are present in the largest ducts, near the areolae.  To resolve your problem, a comprehensive analysis of possible etiologies of your recurrences may be indicated.  The findings should be incorporated into the planning of your next procedure.

Steve Laverson, MD

Laser is not a solution for capsular contracture

+1

There is no laser therapy which has been shown safe and effective for capsular contracture. Unfortunately if your implants are still firm and uncomfortable you may have to live without them.

Recurrent capsular contracture--Will laser work? (NO)

+1

After 3 capsular contractures, plan D should NOT be the same as plans A, B, and C. Externally-applied laser energy will not penetrate deep enough to cause ANY effect at all, but as Dr. Whitt has indicated, may be helpful with surface scars in select situations. Even a laser used intra-operatively within the pocket will be of no value for capsular contracture.

Infrared and external ultrasound have been helpful modalities in some capsular contracture patients, as has use of leukotriene inhibitors (Accolate or Singulair) and oral Vitamin E. The operative word in the last sentence is "some." No more than 50% of patients may receive any benefit from either of these options you can discuss with your surgeon.

When confronted by this degree of severity and recurrence, sometimes implant removal for a period of many months to "sterilize" any bacterial component to your capsular contracture, and then consideration (in some cases) of tissue expander placement to create a pocket that is larger than your final implant choice and stable as far as scar maturity, may be necessary. This involves several operations, but then again, this is already a 4-time repeat with failure each time.

Something different needs to be tried, and there is no magic. Good luck and best wishes.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Laser Will Not Help capsular Contracture

+1

Laser therapy will not likely be of any benefit in treating your capsular contracture, although certain lasers may help with your cutaneous scar.  The laser simply cannot penetrate deeply evough to influence the capsular contracture. 

John Whitt, MD

Third Breast augmentation, concerned about recurrent capsular contraction

+1

Sounds like your surgeon has done everything that he could by using the allomax in your revision. There are some medications that can be used off label that have been proven to have some effect in possibly reducing the recurrence of capsular contraction, I would suggest you ask your surgeon if you are a candidate for these meds. Ultrasound may help improve the scar tissue around your nipple but it is unproven, and unfortunately there is no real laser therapy that can reduce the recurrence of capsular contraction. Good luck and massage, massage, massage!!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon