Does Laser Hair Removal Treatment (IPL Treatment) Effect Pregnancy in Any Way?

I am starting to get really worried because I have already started the treatment and few people have told me that I will have difficulty concieving in the future. Therefore, I wanted to know that is it really true? Or is it just when you have the permanent one which effects pragnancy? Please anyone let me know the facts as soon as possible, and would really appericiate if someone shares their own personal experience whether they have had the treatment and successfully concieved. Thank You all

+1

Hi Mona. There is no effect on future pregnancies having Laser hair removal or IPL done. Although we don't recommended having treatments while pregnant or nursing, your medical provider would place your sessions on hold to continue after you have given birth. 

IPL for hair removal and pregnancy

+1

Generally speaking, lasers are superior to IPL for hair removal. That said, lasers or light-based devices (IPL) will not affect future conception, although to be safe, I wouldn't do any laser or light treatment during a pregnancy (there are no studies on safety). ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser and long term effects on pregnancy

+1

While Laser treatments are not recommended while pregnant, there are no studies to show that lasers cause problems with future conception. Best of luck on your treatment!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Laser hair treatments and pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question. Laser hair treatments will not affect your ability to get pregnant. It is a low controlled energy and does not travel far past the pigment in the hair follicle. You are fine to continue your treatments. It is recommended as a precaution to stop laser treatments if you do get pregnant during a laser treatment series but is fine to resume once the baby is delivered.

- Best wishes

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Conceiving after laser hair removal

+1

Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates superficially into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat. This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin unaffected. It does not affect deeper structures so it will have no negative effects on your trying to get pregnant.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser hair removal and conceiving

+1

Laser hair removal is permanent, meaning the hairs that are able to be treated are permanently removed and will not regrow. There is no laser hair removal laser that will affect conception because it only goes deep enough to get the hair follicles. These are extremely shallow, so even if you treat over the stomach or pubic region, you are treating upper layers of skin and follicles, not reproductive organs. We don't recommend treating people who are pregnant (there is no proof it would harm a developing fetus but all doctors ask pregnant women to stop doing anything deemed unnecessary during pregnancy). I have 2 staff members who did hair removal treatments over many body parts and both of them had healthy pregnancies and babies afterward.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Laser hair removal and Pregnancy

+1

Hi Mona.  Laser energy is light based and non-mutagenic.  This means it is non cancer causing.  Laser light will also not affect your ability to conceive.  Although we do not perform treatment on pregnant or breastfeeding women, this is a liability issue with our insurance carrier rather than a practical issue of causing harm. 

You should feel safe getting laser hair removal and being able to conceive in the future.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD