Will Laser Hair Removal on the Nipple Also Remove Acne, or Damage to Breastfeeding Ducts?

Could one of the doctors help me with my issue. I have acne-like semi-hard white stuff in the Montgomery's glands on my areolas. It looks like I have acne on my nipples. I have been getting laser hair removal in that area. My questions are: 1) Will the laser hair removal harm the Montgomery glands and impede later breastfeeding? 2) Will the laser hair removal take away the "acne"? 3) Is there a different treatment I should look into for this problem? Thanks!-Claire

The safety of Laser Hair Removal on the nipples

+1

I have never heard of any problems with laser hair removal on the nipples. Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin and glands unaffected. This should not affect breastfeeding in the future. It is also not likely the laser will help you, however, with improving your plugged glands.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal on the Nipple

+1

Laser hair removal targets the pigment in the hair follicle so it should not have any effect on the areolar glands or impede breastfeeding at a later date.    As far as the clogged glands, you might want to discuss this with your gynecologist as they probably deal with this issue quite often.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist