I Am Considering Laser Hair Removal. What Sort of Preventive Measures I Should Pursue Prior to my First Treatment?

What to do before laser hair removal treatment

+3

Instructions to follow before laser hair removal treatment:

1. Prior to laser treatment, it is important to shave the area. Otherwise hair gets pressed to the surface of your skin. When the hair shaft is destroyed by the laser it can injure the surrounding skin. Shave a day prior to your appointment, so if you nick yourself, the area will not be bleeding during your procedure. Any method of hair removal such as waxing or tweezing will remove the deeper portions of the hair follicle which contain the "target pigmentation" and will render laser hair removal ineffective for at least two weeks. Either shaving or depilatory creams can be used up to the day of the laser treatment as they do not remove the entire hair shaft.
2. Make sure the area has had no sun exposure for one month prior and one month after the laser procedure.
3. The use of any photosensitizing medications or over-the-counter supplements known to cause photosensitivity should delay laser hair removal treatment until these medications can be safely discontinued.
4. Topical retinoids used in the treatment area should be discontinued 1 to 2 days prior to treatment.
5. If a tan is present the treatment should be delayed until the tan has faded.
6. Make sure there is no inflammation in the skin of the area to be treated prior to the procedure.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Removal

+1

If you are tired of ingrown hairs and irritation from waxing and shaving, laser hair removal offers freedom from unwanted facial and body hair. Now popular with both men and women, it is best suited for darker hair but new advances even allow reduction in gray or blonde hair. Commonly performed on the face, upper lip, neck, chest, periareolar, underarms, back, abdomen, bikini line, and legs, it cannot be used on the eyes. We recommend you to not be tan and to not wax or pluck your hair prior to the hair removal treatment. This way, our laser can penetrate deep and remove the hair from the root. Dr. Copeland uses a variety of FDA approved lasers, such as the Light Sheer® laser, for permanent hair removal for all skin types.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD